Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

USF Waitlist Questions

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by DrPharaohX, Mar 17, 2004.

1. DrPharaohX

DrPharaohX Free...your...mind...
    10+ Year Member

Hey all:

Well I interviewed at USF March 8th and got the call today that I'm on the waitlist. According to Dr. Larkin, I'm above the cut off threshold but still sort of borderline. People in my position last year were usually offered a position by beginning/mid June (so that's good news to hear at least).

I was thinking about writing a letter of intent (LOI) but I don't want to because I just don't like putting myself in that position.

My status is weird though:

No word post secondary from U Miami and Wake Forest
    Rejected post secondary/pre interview from UF (I'm UF undergrad too! :mad: )
    Interviewed and waitlisted at USF

3.84 GPA/28Q MCAT (31 combined but that doesn't matter to schools......if only my physical didn't drop the second time around )

.....So USF is my best shot right now, and I'm waitlisted there :(

I just want your views on this. I'm back to thinking about taking a year off and retaking MCAT, but having to wait till June to find out with USF kind of makes MCAT prep....confusing. I could start and study beginning of summer until I hear something from USF I suppose.

I have good extracurriculars but I see that I can do more community service and more recent volunteering (I haven't volunteered since last year, though I do work in a healthcare setting right now).

I was thinking since my GPA is strong I don't really need a one year Master's Program.

SHOULD RETAKING THE MCAT AND DOING MORE COMMUNITY SERVICE/VOLUNTEERING be enough to strengthen my application and re-apply for next year?

ALSO, ANYONE HAVE EXPERIENCE WITH USF WAITLIST? ADVICE?

Sorry for the long post. I appreciate any views you have. Thanks! :D

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. drlexygoat

drlexygoat Eat, Drink, and Be Merry
    7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    I LOI won't do anything for you in this case. Larkin told us at our interview that once the committee votes on you, your position (and score you are given) on the waitlist does not change, no matter what. So, letter or not, your status wont' change unless students are added or removed from the waitlist.

Best of luck, though!!! Hang in there.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. docmemi

docmemi 1K Member
    7+ Year Member

maybe it wont do anything now, but when they want to pull off the waitlist, im sure the letter might make a difference.

disclaimer: i have no clue about usf.

4. zinjanthropus

Physician Faculty 15+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    do a search on this...last summer there was some very good discussion on the USF waitlist...I believe it involved "SolidGold" and a few others....

From the discussion last year, all of the people who were in your position ended up getting in, even those in the "grey area". I also don't think it will help at all to write a LOI at this point because, as Larkin said, you get a number and they go in order. However, a letter can't hurt either.

5. mikedc813

10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    I interviewed at USF on March 12 and won't hear back until the 31st, but from what I have read I wouldn't recommend pulling out the MCAT books just yet. If people from past years have gotten in from the middle of the waitlist I would say to wait a little and see what happens. Mr. Larkin told us that most activity on the waitlist happens in May, so hopefully you'll find out by then. And I'm sure after taking the MCAT you still remember a lot and won't need to study quite as hard as the first time around. Good luck with everything and I'm going to cross my fingers regarding my USF decision. :)

Oh, how do letters of intent work? I'm not really sure....I think USF is my best bet at this point since it's my state school, Dr. Ledford (director of the admissions committee) said I am competitive after my interview, I have a lot of community service, I go to a Boston school which adds diversity to an overwhelming FL-based undergrad class, and my scores are good (3.6 GPA 29R). I'm not really sure what to think but I'm thinking I'll probably be waitlisted at this point. Think a letter of intent will help? Thanks :confused:

6. drlexygoat

drlexygoat Eat, Drink, and Be Merry
    7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    mikedc813,

Rather than a strict LOI, you may want to send USF an updated list of any activities, awards, grades, etc. In that list/letter, state that USF is your top choice.

If the committee had already voted on you, sending new info or a LOI wouldn't change a thing because Mr Larkin said a "waitlist score" doesn't change once the committee meets.

One more thing.... this is the first yr USF is accepting any out-of-state applicants. I'm not sure how many they're looking to take, but I wouldn't imagine it's a HUGE amount, considering USF gets a ton of govt funding from the state. Either way, your stats seem right on par with the acceptance range!!!!