Using a masters to gain pre-req's

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

WYNN86

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am pre-dent and planning my route to gain my pre-req's. I am confused by the fact that it appears some people are suggesting doing masters programs as a route to gaining your pre-req's.
How is this possible?
Do they cover all the courses such as organic chem, inorganic chem etc etc?

(On a side note, I've only been looking at postbacs up until now so I am unsure as to how you go about identifying these courses. When a school calls for organic chem will it only accept the courses that are entitled 'organic chem' or can you just to a subject that comes under then general umbrella of organic chem, sorry that this is such a basic question but I just cant work it out)

How would they address the issue of needing to take certain amounts of English and other courses not related to the masters program.
Do people do this by taking the masters program that will provide them with one or two of their pre-req's and then just taking the extra classes?
Are you even allowed to do this when taking a masters?

Sorry for my complete lack of a clue! :laugh:
Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

You will have to contact the particular M.S. programs to find out if they will grant you class credit towards the degree for certain undergrad classes.

My gut feeling is that none of the M.S. programs will give you M.S. credit for basic science pre-reqs (Gen Chem, Orgo, Gen Bio, & Physics).

However, if you get a M.S. in Bio, your chances of getting credit for your upper-level Bio & Chem classes is high. That is typical of most grad programs.

Therefore, I doubt you will be able to start a M.S. program next year since you still have a full year of pre-reqs to take.

The science pre-reqs you need are the ones that last an entire school year and have a lab. They are freshmen and sophomore classes.