Using a PharmD for other things

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

nafcillin

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I don't like pharmacy and want to get out of the profession. I am thinking of getting into chemical engineering, toxicology, regulatory stuff or something that involves working at a company such as 3M. Do I need to go back to school to get another degree or am I marketable enough with a bachelor's, a pharmD and hospital and retail experience?

I am willing to go back to school but I don't want do it if it's not necessary. Any advice is appreciated. Thank you.:luck:

Members don't see this ad.

Nope, pharmacy is like the mafia. You can never leave alive.

Reactions: 1 user
I don't like pharmacy and want to get out of the profession. I am thinking of getting into chemical engineering, toxicology, regulatory stuff or something that involves working at a company such as 3M. Do I need to go back to school to get another degree or am I marketable enough with a bachelor's, a pharmD and hospital and retail experience?

I am willing to go back to school but I don't want do it if it's not necessary. Any advice is appreciated. Thank you.:luck:

You could be an inspector for the State Board. The DEA hires pharmacists as investigators. The FDA has positions in inspection and regulatory affairs. Insurance companies hire pharmacists. I just saw a job posted with United Health Care here in Dallas for a PBM program manager where the main requirement was a PharmD. Think outside the box a little.

Be prepared to take a paycut.

Members don't see this ad :)
Any right out of pharmacy school?

Seriously, if you're not over 37, look into the DEA. Hell, if you are over 37, there might be exceptions. I've met a few pharmacists who are working for the feds in investigations and it's a pretty sweet deal. The benefits are amazing, the pay is immaculate and not generally susceptible to the tides of the market, and you'll have a damn blast!

Seriously, if you're not over 37, look into the DEA. Hell, if you are over 37, there might be exceptions. I've met a few pharmacists who are working for the feds in investigations and it's a pretty sweet deal. The benefits are amazing, the pay is immaculate and not generally susceptible to the tides of the market, and you'll have a damn blast!

cool DEA agent? Do they let you carry weapons?

I don't really use my PharmD for any other purpose, it just hangs on a wall in my room =p

Most pharmacists dont qualify for DEA jobs. The only job where they would take pharmacists into consideration is diversion investigator but the benefits are nothing great. Sure you have two more weeks of paid vacation compared to retail but you lose 60k in pay. Heck, when you compare it to VA or hospital, you recieve the same benefits for a lot more pay.

PS. Are you a cop trying to be a pharmacist?

Most pharmacists dont qualify for DEA jobs. The only job where they would take pharmacists into consideration is diversion investigator but the benefits are nothing great. Sure you have two more weeks of paid vacation compared to retail but you lose 60k in pay. Heck, when you compare it to VA or hospital, you recieve the same benefits for a lot more pay.

PS. Are you a cop trying to be a pharmacist?

Not necessarily true. The requirements for DEA are 21 yo, Bachelor's Degree (no specialty required but suggested), good physical condition, and able to obtain top secret clearance. Those who only obtain pre-req's could likely get past the requirement of the Bachelor's Degree since they've went beyond - good question for a recruiter.

I will agree that a Diversion Investigator would likely be an entry point for someone with a PharmD. However, there are plenty of positions within DEA that are only available to promotions from within. You would take a pay cut almost certainly - how much would depend on your assignment area as there are cost of living adjustments.

Anyway, OP asked for options, so there's one. There is definitely better money in other places.

PS. Former, yes.

Last edited: