Using an "in press" paper as a work sample?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

psychRA

Psychologist
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
When submitting an application (for a postdoc fellowship, in my case) that requires a work sample, is it acceptable to submit a first author manuscript that is still in press? I'm really not sure what the guidelines are in this case. I'd like to be able to use this particular paper as a work sample, because the topic applies pretty well to the postdoc that I'm applying to, but not if it means that I'm violating any rules or agreements. It's still being proofed by the journal, so we haven't signed off on the final agreement.

Anyone else been in this boat before?

Members don't see this ad.

When submitting an application (for a postdoc fellowship, in my case) that requires a work sample, is it acceptable to submit a first author manuscript that is still in press? I'm really not sure what the guidelines are in this case. I'd like to be able to use this particular paper as a work sample, because the topic applies pretty well to the postdoc that I'm applying to, but not if it means that I'm violating any rules or agreements. It's still being proofed by the journal, so we haven't signed off on the final agreement.

Anyone else been in this boat before?

You can use something "in press" and it isn't a bad idea, as it gives them an idea of what you have been working on recently.