Using contacts to get a residency position

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Dr. AZ

5+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Ehh it would probably be more helpful if it was Trump, but hell its 2017... give it a shot

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Okay so I am an img and intend do a competitive residency in the US. I was wondering how much do non-medical contacts with high profile people help. One of dads friends is good friends with Obama. Would it help if he contacted a program director? Thanks in advance.

I had Bill Clinton talk to a PD on my behalf but he just told lewd jokes and kept asking about "spousal separation surgery." Do not attempt

Reactions: 13 users
Okay so I am an img and intend do a competitive residency in the US. I was wondering how much do non-medical contacts with high profile people help. One of dads friends is good friends with Obama. Would it help if he contacted a program director? Thanks in advance.

If your dad's friend is a good friend of a program director or chairman, that'll be helpful. If I was a PD and got a call from a random friend of Obama, it wouldn't matter at all.

Would it help to just get an interview or the resident position itself. I'm a 2nd year student in a five year program so there's still a lot of time before I actually go through the matching process. I haven't even given USMLE step 1 yet.
I hope you're not a troll . . .

If you can get Obama to make a phone call on your behalf, then just do it and see what happens. Either the program will care enough to look at your app or they won't.

But before you do, make sure your app is strong enough for the program you want Obama to call, because if it isn't, then that's grounds to reject your app. "Welp! We looked at Dr. AZ's app since Obama recommended it, but it's s***, so we rejected it."

And you might want to avoid applying to programs in red states.

I had Bill Clinton talk to a PD on my behalf but he just told lewd jokes and kept asking about "spousal separation surgery." Do not attempt
I had Trump call on my behalf. He just kept asking "How do you do a bimanual exam?" and chuckling. I still don't get it.

To all the people thinking that I'm a troll, rest assured I'm not. I was actually serious when I asked if it would matter if he called. I was just contemplating the possibilities.

Last edited:
Doubt it's a troll. In other countries that practice is common. It won't help you in the US (and if I were the PD, would make me more likely NOT to interview you). Being good friends with an existing PD or bigwig willing to make a call for you (especially in a smaller field) can most definitely help get your foot in the door, but it doesn't sound like that's the situation you're describing.

Reactions: 2 users
Obama would not make that call. The political repercussions would be severe if such a thing becomes public.

Even if he did, it would likely hurt you more than help you.

Do not attempt.

Obama would not make that call. The political repercussions would be severe if such a thing becomes public.

Do not attempt.

I can see the headlines now "Obama recommends medical student to residency program directors". He would likely never recover!

Reactions: 1 user

Do not attempt.
thank you

If your dad's friend is a good friend of a program director or chairman, that'll be helpful. If I was a PD and got a call from a random friend of Obama, it wouldn't matter at all.

This phone call has "Arne Duncan" written all over it.

Reactions: 1 user

Chances are whatever the outcome, Hillary would blame anyone but herself

The pony meme is brutal.
IMG_0806.JPG

Reactions: 2 users
At the risk of dooming the thread to a banishment to SPF... that's a pretty accurate description of the Bernie campaign.

C'mon "bro" is extremely sexist

feel the Bern sis