Using dentists as dope dealers

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Happens all to frequently. I honestly can't tell you how many times over the years I've had a seeker ask for drugs, even after you've been in practice for a while.

Standard scenario(s)

- new patient, later in the day call(very often Friday afternoons or afterhours), complaint of usually new onset severe pain, can't make it to the office because they're a significant distance away currently due to work(or something similiar), and occassionally they'll thow out the name of one of your current patients who supposedly reccommended you to them

- sometimes they'll also come up with something like "X number of years ago I had something similiar and my dentist where I used to live gave me some Y (insert name of a narcotic pain med) and it got me through the night/weekend"

Even sometimes, you'll have some of your established patients try this. Once again typically they'll call you late day and/or afterhours. Often they'll not be in the best of dental health so you'll be thinking that their complaint might be valid. This is where i've been "burned" more often. I'll call in some Vicodin (the narcotic that i'll typically Rx for my patients that I feel need it) and an antibiotic and then have my receptionist call them the next work day to get them in ASAP, and the seekers will either say "it feels all better" or fail their appointment, and then typically call me with a similar complaint within the following month or two. At that time, I'll tell them that I will only call them in an antibiotic because of what happened the previous time.

Story I've told before that was what we'd do in my residency from time to time when we were convinced we had a drug seeker - hospital policy at the time that we couldn't just ignore their call. We'd call them in an Rx for an NSAID (Voltaren) in suppository form(the hospital pharmacy readily stocked it):D That basically ended that particular person as a drug seeker from where I did my residency!

Last edited:
Happens all to frequently. I honestly can't tell you how many times over the years I've had a seeker ask for drugs, even after you've been in practice for a while.

Standard scenario(s)

- new patient, later in the day call(very often Friday afternoons or afterhours), complaint of usually new onset severe pain, can't make it to the office because they're a significant distance away currently due to work, and occassionally they're thow out the name of one of your current patients who supposedly reccommended you to them

- sometimes they'll also come up with something like "X number of years ago I had something similiar and my dentist where I used to live gave me some Y (insert name of a narcotic pain med) and it got me through the night/weekend"

Even sometimes, you'll have some of your established patients try this. Once again typically they'll call you late day and/or afterhours. Often they'll not be in the best of dental health so you'll be thinking that their complaint might be valid. This is where i've been "burned" more often. I'll call in some Vicodin (the narcotic that i'll typically Rx for my patients that I feel need it) and an antibiotic and then have my receptionist call them the next work day to get them in ASAP, and the seekers will either say "it feels all better" or fail their appointment, and then typically call me with a similar complaint within the following month or two. At that time, I'll tell them that I will only call them in an antibiotic because of what happened the previous time.

Story I've told before that was what we'd do in my residency from time to time when we were convinced we had a drug seeker - hospital policy at the time that we couldn't just ignore their call. We'd call them in an Rx for an NSAID (Voltaren) in suppository form(the hospital pharmacy readily stocked it):D That basically ended that particular person as a drug seeker from where I did my residency!

holy smokes thats interesting! may I ask where you did your residency? And what type? Just curious!!

Members don't see this ad :)
GPR, St Francis Hospital in Hartford, CT

thats awesome, I've been about everywhere but CT...someday perhaps! I wondered bc I was gonna say, "Dang he gets up early"...lol..bc your posts say like 5am...and that is 3am my MTN time! haha!!

Standard scenario(s)

- new patient, later in the day call(very often Friday afternoons or afterhours), complaint of usually new onset severe pain, can't make it to the office because they're a significant distance away currently due to work(or something similiar), and occassionally they'll thow out the name of one of your current patients who supposedly reccommended you to them

Yup. I am not sure if this is covered in dental school but in our legal courses in pharmacy school, they made it clear that we understood that in order for a physician to prescribed controlled substances for a patient, the physician has to see the patient physically first.

It is nice to have someone else to blame for our problems.

Standard scenario(s)

Darn... you're so generous! I'll only call in for pre-med patients or changing form of medication (fluid or pill). Others have to pay $30 for consultation or follow-up then I will write them another script for antibiotic and/or pain med.

Standard scenario(s)

:laugh: I like that one!