Using MCAT to prepare for PCAT

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

FutrPharm

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Besides the lack of a quantitative ability section, would preparing for the MCAT indirectly prepare someone for the PCAT? For instance, if one were to take an MCAT prep course shortly before taking the PCAT, would this basically "kill two birds with one stone?" I asked someone who teaches both courses this question and they said yes, however I'd like to get some opinions from other people too... thanks

Members don't see this ad.

FutrPharm said:
Besides the lack of a quantitative ability section, would preparing for the MCAT indirectly prepare someone for the PCAT? For instance, if one were to take an MCAT prep course shortly before taking the PCAT, would this basically "kill two birds with one stone?" I asked someone who teaches both courses this question and they said yes, however I'd like to get some opinions from other people too... thanks
I bought an MCAT prep book and checked out some MCAT and GRE books from the library to help prepare for the PCAT when I took it a couple of years ago. I think you can successfully use the MCAT and GRE books to help you prepare for reading comprehension, verbal and writing section. However, I don't think the MCAT class or prep book will help you on the science portion of the PCAT. The PCAT science sections are just straight-forward chemistry and biology. So use your old chem/bio books to study for the PCAT, and don't waste your money on the MCAT class. I think those prep classes cost at least 1000 bucks, and I don't think you'll have a leg up by taking the class. You'd be better off buying the Barrons PCAT prep book...I used that one to prepare and I did really well on the exam...it seems to be a fairly accurate depiction of the PCAT. I would also suggest that if you haven't taken anatomy and physiology (not all pharm schools require it), consider checking out a cliff-notes type of A&P book. That will help you on your bio section. The chem section is mainly general chem and just a few organic questions, so spend most of your time on the gen chem concepts.

Good luck.

FutrPharm said:

i took a kaplan class for the pcats and we used a lot of the same workshops and materials as the kaplan class for mcats. so yes, i think preparing for mcats will indirectly prepare you...perhaps even over-prepare you!

Members don't see this ad :)
I was wondering the same thing...

has anybody had any success on the PCAT by studying this way??

You can even use Princeton Review books from the OLD SAT (which still had analogies) to help you prepare for the sentence completions and analogies. I found the PCAT vocab here easier but the techniques helped alot.