Using Movers to relocate?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Poety

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

Did you or are you going to use movers for the relocation? I'm worried after going onto moverscam.com and seeing all the horror stories - I'm thinking of hiring laborers and renting hte truck myself to avoid getting shafted.

Anyone else have any advice?

Thanks and good luck everyone!

:luck: :luck: :luck:

Members don't see this ad.

To move to medical school, I hired people to load up my rented truck (Ryder) and then drove it myself to where I was moving. The things I was obsessive over, like my computer and the framed prints in my living room, for example, I moved myself in my car. I had worked for a number of years before med school and I had lived in a one-bedroom apartment, so I had really accumulated enough stuff (big heavy sofas, etc) that I couldn't just do it all on my own or with friends.

When all was said and done, after the move, the only damage was a big crack in the glass of one of my framed prints. And that was one of the things only *I* handled. :laugh:

It was very reasonably priced -- pretty cheap. MUCH cheaper than hiring people to load the truck and to drive my stuff. And on my time table. I don't remember how I found them, but I think I looked through the BBB (Better Business Bureau) and found them.

I never knew you could rent the truck and people separately. How do you find people to rent? Is there a laborer heading in the yellow pages?

Poety said:
Hi everyone,

Did you or are you going to use movers for the relocation? I'm worried after going onto moverscam.com and seeing all the horror stories - I'm thinking of hiring laborers and renting hte truck myself to avoid getting shafted.

Anyone else have any advice?

Thanks and good luck everyone!

:luck: :luck: :luck:

Try ABF U-Pack. They will drive the truck for you. You're responsible for packing and loading yourself (also for unloading). Be sure to use one of the online coupons for a free ramp or some type of discount.

The local ABF terminal can usually recommend loaders and unloaders in both cities to help you avoid the brute labor part of the move. I got free packing supplies from the hospital by collecting all of the boxes that were getting thrown out on a daily basis at the loading dock.

Bobblehead said:
Try ABF U-Pack. They will drive the truck for you. You're responsible for packing and loading yourself (also for unloading). Be sure to use one of the online coupons for a free ramp or some type of discount.

The local ABF terminal can usually recommend loaders and unloaders in both cities to help you avoid the brute labor part of the move. I got free packing supplies from the hospital by collecting all of the boxes that were getting thrown out on a daily basis at the loading dock.

Excellent advice thanks Bobble!