Using online classes as entry requirements

Started by Dazen
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Dazen

Clinical PhD Student
7+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hi y'all!

I don't have an academic background in psychology, though I do have significant research experience and a full-time job providing care to my POI. I was planning to take a few classes through ASU's online program to meet basic requirements for Clinical PhD programs (Intro to Psych, Statistics, Research Methods, Abnormal Psych), giving me 25 credits. I know that online courses are generally not seen as favorably as in-person classes, but given the current COVID situation, do you think these would be acceptable to check those boxes, assuming I do well in them?

Thanks
 
I assume you have a non-psych degree that wasn't obtained online, and are just looking to get a few psych courses to meet admissions requirements. If this is the case, I don't think anyone will care that you took these few courses online, especially considering the state we're in. If I'm being honest, I've ever even noticed if a person's credits were earned online vs in-person (unless the degree came from an obvious degree mill).
 
Thanks for the answer! Yes, I have an undergraduate degree in engineering and want to fulfill my last few credit/course requirements while working full-time, so it's the easiest way to go. Wanted to make sure it was also worthwhile before committing the time and money, sinceI'm only looking to check those boxes for my applications.
 
I assume you have a non-psych degree that wasn't obtained online, and are just looking to get a few psych courses to meet admissions requirements. If this is the case, I don't think anyone will care that you took these few courses online, especially considering the state we're in. If I'm being honest, I've ever even noticed if a person's credits were earned online vs in-person (unless the degree came from an obvious degree mill).
Agreed; shouldn't be an issue.