Using online classes as entry requirements

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Dazen

Clinical PhD Student
5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi y'all!

I don't have an academic background in psychology, though I do have significant research experience and a full-time job providing care to my POI. I was planning to take a few classes through ASU's online program to meet basic requirements for Clinical PhD programs (Intro to Psych, Statistics, Research Methods, Abnormal Psych), giving me 25 credits. I know that online courses are generally not seen as favorably as in-person classes, but given the current COVID situation, do you think these would be acceptable to check those boxes, assuming I do well in them?

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

I assume you have a non-psych degree that wasn't obtained online, and are just looking to get a few psych courses to meet admissions requirements. If this is the case, I don't think anyone will care that you took these few courses online, especially considering the state we're in. If I'm being honest, I've ever even noticed if a person's credits were earned online vs in-person (unless the degree came from an obvious degree mill).

Reactions: 1 users
Thanks for the answer! Yes, I have an undergraduate degree in engineering and want to fulfill my last few credit/course requirements while working full-time, so it's the easiest way to go. Wanted to make sure it was also worthwhile before committing the time and money, sinceI'm only looking to check those boxes for my applications.

I assume you have a non-psych degree that wasn't obtained online, and are just looking to get a few psych courses to meet admissions requirements. If this is the case, I don't think anyone will care that you took these few courses online, especially considering the state we're in. If I'm being honest, I've ever even noticed if a person's credits were earned online vs in-person (unless the degree came from an obvious degree mill).
Agreed; shouldn't be an issue.

Reactions: 1 user