Using Pre clinic time wisely

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Biofilm preventer

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Are their any tips that i should be doing in pre clinic lab excercises that would correlate to having more success when i start practicing on real patients? Is there anything that i should practice mastering more of while having the luxury of not working on actual people yet?

Members don't see this ad.

Two things off the top of my head: Only drill from positions that you can actually replicate on a real patient. For example, only work from the 8-12 o clock positions.

Also, be aware that you can re-position the patient (i.e. recline the chair more, tilt the head rest, turn the patient’s head, etc). Practice doing the same on the mannequin to gain the best line of sight on the tooth you’re working on.

Reactions: 1 users
Not so much operative because you excavate decay. So no worrying about if your isthmus is too wide or you nicked the transverse ridge. In the real world there are lots of products to make your life easier.

Work hard on your crown preps because they can be tough at first. Things like undercuts, lack of occlusal clearance, unclear margins, etc are a problem in the real world. A nice crown prep will make delivery so much easier.

Oh and when it comes to crown peeps, it’s important to know when to stop. Constantly making taper adjustments or margin refinements, whatever, you will end up with an overprepared tooth that may no longer be restorable.

Reactions: 2 users