Using STEM Extension of OPT for Residency

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ShiraShira

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,

I did a PhD in biological sciences before medical school and have not used the OPT STEM extension yet. I know that the one of the requirements of the extension is that the work has to be directly related to the degree. Would I be able to use the STEM extension for residency in this case? Has anyone had a similar experience? Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

No, for two reasons. First, as you point out, the OPT training needs to be directly related to the underlying degree. Since a residency has nothing to do with a PhD, you usually can't do this. But perhaps more importantly, if you've completed your PhD, your F visa is over. The OPT needs to follow your F Visa, and once your F visa ends, that's the end of OPT.

If someone is in the MD/PhD program, in which the visa is continuous, can three OPT years be stringed together and used? (2 from the PhD+1 from MD)

Members don't see this ad :)
I am not certain, but I believe you only get one OPT. Doing a combined degree still gets you a single OPT. OPT is 12 months, although it appears you can apply for an OPT extension -- something of which I was unaware. So, perhaps you could make an OPT visa last for 2 or even 3 years. That said, I've only seen it used for 1.

I am not certain, but I believe you only get one OPT. Doing a combined degree still gets you a single OPT. OPT is 12 months, although it appears you can apply for an OPT extension -- something of which I was unaware. So, perhaps you could make an OPT visa last for 2 or even 3 years. That said, I've only seen it used for 1.

I'm Canadian and did my undergraduate degree in Exercise Science in the US and then went to medical school in the US. Do you happen to know if I could do the 1 year OPT and then get an extension based on my medical degree to complete a Family Med or Internal Med Residency? Reading the USCIS website gave me the impression it's possible to do 12 months + 24 Month extension, but I was wondering if you might have more experience or insight on this?

Hi,

I did a PhD in biological sciences before medical school and have not used the OPT STEM extension yet. I know that the one of the requirements of the extension is that the work has to be directly related to the degree. Would I be able to use the STEM extension for residency in this case? Has anyone had a similar experience? Thanks.
Hi @ShiraShira were you able to find an answer to this question? Because according to the DHS website, you would be able to use your unused STEM OPT extension from your first degree after the second degree (need not be STEM related). I am just curious if residencies will accept this though. Kindly let me know if you were able to make any progress in this direction.