Using Step 2 CK resources to study for Shelf Exams

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

fw5tape6kq

Full Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I'm curious what experience people have had using Step 2 resources to study for their shelf exams: e.g., using Step 2 CK First Aid, USMLE Rx for Step 2, And UWorld as the primary means by which to study for these exams, or even as a supplement. How many people stick to primary texts like Case Files or Basic Review without dipping into Step 2 resources - and find that approach sufficient?

For example, I start my Pediatrics rotation soon. I have both BRS Pediatrics and Case Files, and I suspect that getting through both of those texts in their entirety will take up a decent amount of time, leaving the prospect of using other resources a little more pressured. Should I make a concerted effort to use FA Step 2 CK, UWorld, and USMLE Rx?

Any thoughts are greatly appreciated!
 
For Peds and OB/Gyn I exclusively used Kaplan and MTB and Uworld. My percentiles were 75% and 91% respectively. The peds should was definitely tough but I think mainly because I hadn't studied for the medicine shelf first so there was a lot of gaps. I have my IM shelf tomorrow and all I did was study MTB and uworld, just took a NBME and I calculated it around 97th percentile, so I'm hoping that will come through tomorrow. I honestly think MTB and Uworld would be sufficient for most shelves.
 
For Peds and OB/Gyn I exclusively used Kaplan and MTB and Uworld. My percentiles were 75% and 91% respectively. The peds should was definitely tough but I think mainly because I hadn't studied for the medicine shelf first so there was a lot of gaps. I have my IM shelf tomorrow and all I did was study MTB and uworld, just took a NBME and I calculated it around 97th percentile, so I'm hoping that will come through tomorrow. I honestly think MTB and Uworld would be sufficient for most shelves.

Agree with the above. I used UWorld for every one. I did use Case Files instead of MTB for most, though. On one I only used question banks and read extremely little other than the question explanations. Ended up being my best score... :shrug:
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I used UWorld for every shelf except family, I don't think Family is on UWorld, so I used pretest for that one.

Additional resources that I remember were BRS for peds and neuro, and MSKAP questions for IM. Case Files isn't really my style but a lot of people like that series.
 
Started off doing reading in conjunction with qbanks. My last shelf was just qbanks and uptodate and didnt see a fall off in my test score.
 
My last shelf was just qbanks and uptodate and didnt see a fall off in my test score.
1RD6oHN