Using the Kaplan MCAT Review Books:

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

TS2354

Reaction score
Hello,

I am a current community college student, and I am planning on taking sciences such as the following:
  • General Biology I and II
  • General Chemistry I and II
  • Organic Chemistry I and II
  • College Physics I and II
  • Biochemistry
  • Introduction to Psychology
  • Introduction to Sociology
I recently have checked out the Kaplan MCAT Biology Review, Kaplan MCAT General Chemistry Review, and the Kaplan MCAT Biochemistry Review. I decided to check these out to review the material from Biology and Chemistry that I have learned before while in high school. I also decided to check these books out just to get a sense of what could be potentially covered on the MCAT and also to start teaching myself some of the material that I can learn on my own. Any other advice on what I should do is greatly appreciated. I am just trying to prepare myself as best as I can for future courses since I am considering applying to medical school and also to actually know the material well and understand it well.

Members don't see this ad.

It sounds like you are just starting! Focusing on what you are learning in those classes will do you a lot better than trying to also study what is in the books. Some of the content will overlap but a lot won’t. It would be better to save most of that for learning in a dedicated MCAT study plan.

Reactions: 1 user
In addition to the Kaplan MCAT review books, consider using other study materials such as online resources, practice exams, flashcards, and study guides. There are many free and paid resources available online that can supplement your learning and provide additional practice.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Blueprint prep - I used this. Loved it! Books + online resources. Not free though.

Khan academy - this will be great for your college classes and for mcat prep. Free.

AnkiPro - MilesDown deck to study for mcat. Low cost for the AnkiPro subscription. Worth it!

AA academy for amino acid practice.

Jack westin

It sounds like you are just starting! Focusing on what you are learning in those classes will do you a lot better than trying to also study what is in the books. Some of the content will overlap but a lot won’t. It would be better to save most of that for learning in a dedicated MCAT study plan.
Thanks for the reply. I checked out the books just to get an overview of what is included in those particular subjects such as biology, chemistry, and biochemistry. I will keep this in mind.

In addition to the Kaplan MCAT review books, consider using other study materials such as online resources, practice exams, flashcards, and study guides. There are many free and paid resources available online that can supplement your learning and provide additional practice.
Thanks for the advice. I am aware of the MCAT prep on Khan Academy. I also know that Khan Academy has resources for classes like chemistry and biology. I will keep this in mind going forward.

Blueprint prep - I used this. Loved it! Books + online resources. Not free though.

Khan academy - this will be great for your college classes and for mcat prep. Free.

AnkiPro - MilesDown deck to study for mcat. Low cost for the AnkiPro subscription. Worth it!

AA academy for amino acid practice.

Jack westin
Thanks for the advice. I am aware that Khan academy offers quite a bit of resources for classes like biology and chemistry. I will keep this in mind going forward. Thanks again!