USMLE 1 or 2?

Started by wick215
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

wick215

Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I was told, by a program, that the director would only accept USMLE scores. I am a D.O. and have only taken COMLEX 1 and 2. I am only going to take one test and am not quite sure which one is considered more important. Any advice?
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Dear Wick 215,

You can take step 2 first if you wish. From page 4 of the USMLE 2003 bulletin: "If you meet the eligibility requirements to take Step 1 and/or Step 2 (see page 3), you may take either step first. You may apply for step 3 only after passing both Step 1 and Step 2."

For what its worth, I would definitely take step 2. Step 1 is heavy on the preclinical stuff, which you haven't had recently. Step 2 is much more similar to COMLEX 2 than step 1. A friend of mine had the same dilemma, and decided to take step 2. She got her first choice of residencies.

Hope this helps!

Maire
 
errr OOPS!

sorry about that...MY MIND AINT WORKING COS I'M STUDYING FOR STEP 2 right now!!

hahaha

Cuts and Maire are absolutely right...you can take either one first.

I must have been thinking of the CSA or Step 3 or Step 12 or Step 55 or Step 98.

excuse me.
 
I did contact the USMLE offices today and they said I can take step 2 w/o taking step 1. I just needed to know which one programs would like to see. I do agree that it has been awhile since preclinicals and I would probably do better on step 2. Thank you for all the feedback!
 
I agree with Cuts...I would take Step 1 first...it does seem to be used as screening exam for applications. Many people myself included haven't taken Step 2 before they submit their application to ERAS.

Just one man's opinion though. 🙂