USMLE 2 CS required for MATCH?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

chillindrdude

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
i'm a US grad, and my school is (i think) feeding me some BS about needing to have a score recorded for Step2 CS by Jan 28th for the Match. I understand FMG needs to have their CS score for the Match but not so for US grads right?

if this is true, please provide me a link or official statement from NRMP that states this...

thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

I think that would be awful difficult since they haven't even released grades for CS yet....

This is from the NBME page:

Step 2 CS examinees are free to choose their own test dates and locations. Because of the uncertainty surrounding test center volume, a specific reporting date cannot be guaranteed, regardless of the date on which Step 2 CS is taken. However, those examinees who take the Step 2 CS later than December 31, 2004 are unlikely to have results available for the National Resident Matching Program ("the Match"). It is also anticipated that demand for Step 2 CS in the months preceding the Match will be heavy.

And this is the message to the Residency Program Directors on the NBME page:

May 7, 2004

Dear Residency Program Director:

A test of clinical skills is now part of the United States Medical Licensing Examination Step 2 (USMLE Step 2 CS), with test administration beginning on June 14, 2004. The purpose of this test is to assure that examinees have the information gathering and communication skills necessary to enter supervised postgraduate education and for subsequent licensure.

We are writing to you to let you know that we cannot guarantee that results of the clinical skills test will be available in time for decision making regarding applicants for residency positions in the 2005 National Resident Matching Program (NRMP). As a result, program directors are encouraged not to require reporting of Step 2 CS results as a condition of application for a residency position or for ranking in this year's NRMP. As a condition of participation in the NRMP 2005 Match, international medical graduates (IMGs) will continue to be required to have passed either the Educational Commission of Foreign Medical Graduates (ECFMG®) Clinical Skills Assessment (CSA®) or USMLE Step 2 CS. The NBME® and ECFMG have assigned high priority to providing reports for IMGs participating in the 2005 NRMP who test before January 1, 2005.

For all candidates, initial release of results will be delayed until an adequate number of examinees completes testing at each of the five testing locations to permit equating of examination data within and across test sites. Because of the uncertainty surrounding test center scheduling and the potential challenges of implementing the test with new systems, a specific reporting date cannot be guaranteed, regardless of the date on which Step 2 CS is taken. While we hope to begin reporting Step 2 CS performance late in the fall, delays may be encountered during the first year. These delays could extend beyond deadlines for the 2005 NRMP Match.

I was told that you can participate in the match, but you will need it for residency. It has to do with the licensure you get while in residency. You need to have passed step 1 and step 2. Before this year, there was only one part to step 2. Now that there are two parts, you need to have passed them both for the licensure.

Sucks. I hope I'm wrong....

For IMGs, the last date to take it is Dec 31st if we want to make it into this match. That's not the case for US students.

Btw, the first results are out now.