USMLE and Cardiology

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

AliatUofT

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.
Hi everyone

i have a quick question to ask you guys. do all cardiology programs require USMLE scores. i am medical student in Canada, and i am interested in applying to Cardiology programs in the US after i finish my internal medicine residency here in Canada. I am just wondering whether or not USMLE scores are needed? if so is it for every program or just a few? also is it possible to use my LMCC scores (canadian licensing exam) instead?

thanks

ali

ry812

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
yes, many programs use your USMLE scores as an initial way to screen applicants.

cardsfellow2007

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone

i have a quick question to ask you guys. do all cardiology programs require USMLE scores. i am medical student in Canada, and i am interested in applying to Cardiology programs in the US after i finish my internal medicine residency here in Canada. I am just wondering whether or not USMLE scores are needed? if so is it for every program or just a few? also is it possible to use my LMCC scores (canadian licensing exam) instead?

thanks

ali

Some programs ask you not to submit your USMLE scores! Last year when I was interviewing they only came up once. Most programs use them as a factor to determine if they are going to interview you (i.e. 5 points for research, 5 for the quality of the training program/medical school you are coming from, 5 for USMLE scores, 5 for other) with the top scoring applicants getting an interview and in the door.