USMLE and COMLEX

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Lamborghini1315

Sleep deprived
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Let's say you wanna take both the tests assuming they are a day apart, how is one gonna prepare for these tests? Would you ideally study for USMLE's and then brush up on OMM hoping that would just make you ready for both these tests?

Members don't see this ad.

that is what I'm doing...but taking 3 days in b/w....one to chill and 2 for brushing up on OMM, bugs/drugs, peripheral anatomy

medicine is medicine...if you know everything you need to know for the usmle you know everything you need to know for the COMLEX except OMM

to me that makes more sense then doing it the other way around.....ie cramming biochem/molecular in b/w the 2 tests would suck way more then cramming OMM in my opinion

if you do a search w/ "comlex, usmle" you should find some decent old discussions on this

medicine is medicine...if you know everything you need to know for the usmle you know everything you need to know for the COMLEX except OMM

I had a a fair amount more of genetics/molec/epidemiology/biostats on USMLE than COMLEX, enough that I wish I had studied them a little bit more. You will probably do well with just adding in the OMM for COMLEX, but if you want to try and get a few more points, I'd say hit these other topics for USMLE.

I had a a fair amount more of genetics/molec/epidemiology/biostats on USMLE than COMLEX, enough that I wish I had studied them a little bit more. You will probably do well with just adding in the OMM for COMLEX, but if you want to try and get a few more points, I'd say hit these other topics for USMLE.
right....like i said if you know everything (including those subjects) for the usmle then all you need to "add" is OMM.....if you do it the other way around and only learned everything (and nothing more) then was was on the COMLEX 1st.....it would be a pain in a$$ to do those subjects in the days b/w

Members don't see this ad :)
Lets say you do well on USMLE's, does your comlex score matter anymore? I suppose it's only relevant when applying to the osteopathic programs...

Lets say you do well on USMLE's, does your comlex score matter anymore? I suppose it's only relevant when applying to the osteopathic programs...
yup....but its hard to know exactly what/where you're gonna want to apply at this stage in the game...best to plan on rocking both...

How long are you guys devoting to OMM? I'm taking both of them too, but sadly had to schedule COMLEX 1st. :(

How long are you guys devoting to OMM? I'm taking both of them too, but sadly had to schedule COMLEX 1st. :(
depends on how comfortable you are w/ the material.....a few days should be plenty unless you are really starting from scratch...it is rumored to be ~20% of the test so its worth it to get those points