USMLE as a DO?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jillzhou

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Members don't see this ad :)
You should get an OD, and change your name to Sup.

You can be Dr. Sup DOOD

Based on this link, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison_of_MD_and_DO_in_the_United_States
and scrolling down to the part regarding licensure, DOs can take the USMLE too? And if so, can they can have a combined MD/DO? whaattt? Am I reading this wrong? :confused:

Buy a cheap time machine, move to California circa 1960. And then you just can drop the whole DO pretense without taking USMLE.

You should get an OD, and change your name to Sup.

You can be Dr. Sup DOOD

:thumbup:

Buy a cheap time machine, move to California circa 1960. And then you just can drop the whole DO pretense without taking USMLE.

:thumbup:

You'd only be an MD in California though. No other state would see you as an MD.

Members don't see this ad :)
Actually his last name is Do, pronounced "dough". They call him Doctor Dough.

Asian languages are structured so that the family name goes first and the actual name goes second. That's why we have Mao Ze Dong (Mao is the last name) or Kim Jong Il (Kim would be the last name).

When Asians come over to North America the whole last name first name order becomes all messed up.

Nguyen is the most common last name among Vietnamese. So I am quite certain that's his actual last name instead of Do.

Anyway, that's irrelevant since the semantics doesn't take away anything from the name being absolutely hilarious. :D

Fail

Asian languages are structured so that the family name goes first and the actual name goes second. That's why we have Mao Ze Dong (Mao is the last name) or Kim Jong Il (Kim would be the last name).

When Asians come over to North America the whole last name first name order becomes all messed up.

Nguyen is the most common last name among Vietnamese. So I am quite certain that's his actual last name instead of Do.

Anyway, that's irrelevant since the semantics doesn't take away anything from the name being absolutely hilarious. :D

Concur

Sent from my SGH-T999 using SDN Mobile

I can confirm, I am Kim Jong Il and speak fluent asian. (srsnotdead, hiding from cia)

speaking of poop jokes anyone else heard of **** senders?

heard of it on the radio. i think it's a great business idea, but who knows if it's not just another internet scam.

I think I first read about it/went to their website in 2009. It's still up so I'm guessing it's legit :shrug: Don't know for sure though as I've never used it.

Based on this link, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison_of_MD_and_DO_in_the_United_States
and scrolling down to the part regarding licensure, DOs can take the USMLE too? And if so, can they can have a combined MD/DO? whaattt? Am I reading this wrong? :confused:

Just in case you are really curious, and didn't get it yet: Taking the USMLE does not make you an MD. Graduating from an MD-granting institution makes you an MD (or being an FMG with an MBBS, MBChB, etc that passes the USMLEs).

A lot of DOs actually take the USMLE, because it can increase their likelihood of entering into an ACGME residency. Some DO-friendly ACGME residencies or the dual-accredited ACGME/AOA residencies don't require/need this as they can convert the COMLEX score to an equivalent USMLE score for comparison. This may change a bit in 2015 when MD and DO graduate medical programs combine, but likely this will still be residency program specific (i.e. in the hands of the residency PDs).