# USMLE Attempts and Residency Program Graduation (TX)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

medman90

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am currently in a precarious situation and I need your advice. I am currently a resident at a Texas residency program at UTSW. Unfortunately I have failed STEP 3 exam 3 times. I will be retaking the exam soon and will be speaking to my program, but I was hoping to ask your opinion regarding STEP requirement and graduation.

It is my understanding that the maximum number of attempts for STEP exam is 3 for each STEP exam for getting a Texas Medical License. From our university’s policies, I was not able to find out if passing each STEP component within 3 attempts is a also a requirement for graduation purpose. I have seen some people here from other Texas residency programs who failed a STEP component >= 3 attempts and had to quit from their programs.

Is passing each STEP component within 3 attempts for all STEP exams a unified requirement across ALL Texas-based residency programs or does it depend on each program? I would greatly appreciate your help.

Members don't see this ad.

Here is each state’s policy.

Also, I would speak to your program director and chairman. Even if GME at your hospital had a strict policy, a letter of support (or really, phone call, nudge nudge) from your program, can help them let you continue... as for whether you can get licensed in Texas, maybe not, but, assuming you pass on your 4th attempt and graduate , you can maybe work in Texas if you are “licensed in good standing in another state for 5 years. See TMB website for more information.”

I would highly suggest you take a medical/personal leave, also (talk and be honest with your PD, especially if they like you!) That happened at my program. A guy couldn’t pass Step 3 numerous times by GME’s set deadline, but instead of being dismissed, he talked earnestly to program leadership, took a leave, took the test, passed, and rejoined as an intern with advanced standing, and became a PGY-2 again in like 6 months or something.

Anyways, your next step is talk to your program and be very honest but also, in a way, beg. Have people filed lawsuits and won before? Yes. I know a resident who came back after being kicked out for failing Step 3. They then claimed they had a learning disability and filed lawsuit, won, and then rejoined the program after this winning the lawsuit (and also passing Step 3). I would suggest you explore that option only if it really benefits you, but you have to be nice no matter what and talk to your PD right away.

I actually know another of another resident in another state, who’s PD had to petition the state medical board to allow the resident to sit and even take Step 3 one last time (after failing it more times than allowed). So, talk to your PD, and pray they will advocate for you. If not, get a lawyer. Good luck and I hope everything works out for you. PM me if you have specific questions.

You'll need to look at your program's policies. As long as you don't need to get a full TX license as part of your training, the rules for a TX license and for graduating from residency may be different. Your program may be more or less strict than the TMB. Check your GME policies, and then ask your program.

Reactions: 3 users
I am currently in a precarious situation and I need your advice. I am currently a resident at a Texas residency program at UTSW. Unfortunately I have failed STEP 3 exam 3 times. I will be retaking the exam soon and will be speaking to my program, but I was hoping to ask your opinion regarding STEP requirement and graduation.

It is my understanding that the maximum number of attempts for STEP exam is 3 for each STEP exam for getting a Texas Medical License. From our university’s policies, I was not able to find out if passing each STEP component within 3 attempts is a also a requirement for graduation purpose. I have seen some people here from other Texas residency programs who failed a STEP component >= 3 attempts and had to quit from their programs.

Is passing each STEP component within 3 attempts for all STEP exams a unified requirement across ALL Texas-based residency programs or does it depend on each program? I would greatly appreciate your help.
This is likely very program-specific, but I doubt you would lose your PIT license. Theoretically you could finish and move to another state