USMLE changes

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

franceschino

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone,

I am a British graduate currently training and doing a Masters in Surgical Sciences.
I have decided to take a year out (either Aug 2011-Aug2012 or 2012-13) and interrupt my clinical training to sit the USMLEs. However I have come to realise that the structure will be changing soon i.e. no longer Step 1, 2 CK/CS and 3.

This is of major concern to me because I would be investing a whole year (time, money) which whilst opening great opportunities in the US, it could potentially have a negative impact on my career in the UK.

My concerns are:
1) Personal poor understanding of how the changes and therefore of the exam in itself. Please any clarifications would be extremely appreciated.
2) New exam and therefore books, reviews, Qbanks will not be present. At present there is FA, USMLE World etc and I would know exactly where to start : )
3) How would potential employers be able to compare candidates with old and new scores. It seems that I would be taking the exam right in the transition.
4) taking into account the changes, when would be best to take a year out: during Aug 2011-Aug2012 or Aug2012-Aug2013?

I have read the update on the USMLE website but no exact information is given on when these changes will be in place and whether you all steps will definetely be combined to a unique step. Am I missinterpreting? Do you guys in the US have more info than a lost soul stranded across the Atlantic : )
Thanks a lot in advance for your help.

F

Members don't see this ad.