USMLE/COMLEX books

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

docmd2010

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was thinking, that I want to buy the Kaplan series USMLE step 1 prep books, because I want to supplement my material from classes along with the stuff in these books. i was going to ask you guys which set of books should i get? Should i get the home study ediition? (the one that has 4 volumes) I've seen some kaplan books where there are multiple books, i.e. one set of review books for each topic (i.e. biochm, pharm, histo,etc.) too. Which set is more helpful? Which one is worth buying? Which books should i get? Please help!!! Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

I got the Kaplan web prep books from someone.. I really wish I had gotten them as a MSI. They are great to study along with during the classes. THey are a series of 7 books...

Th home study books you are talking about , I think are the series of 4 books that run about $499. They are good as well if you want to add them to your
course study

Get the 7-volume Lecture Notes that go with the Kaplan lecture courses.

These include: Anat, Biochem, Behav. Sci, Micro/Immuno, Path, Pharm, Physio, and usually a QBook, and a simulated exam on disc.

Sellers put them on Ebay, but Ebay pulls the auctions off because Kaplan objects. So...start looking at Ebay on Friday evening. When you see a set of these notes, contact the seller directly. Ebay pulls these auctions off on Monday, so the weekend is the time to check. Sellers know this generally.

The going rate right now is $300 and up, depending upon condition (highlighting, notes, etc).

You can also Google in "online auctions," and sometimes find them is less populated areas like Yahoo's auctions.

Trader56 said:
Get the 7-volume Lecture Notes that go with the Kaplan lecture courses.

These include: Anat, Biochem, Behav. Sci, Micro/Immuno, Path, Pharm, Physio, and usually a QBook, and a simulated exam on disc.

Sellers put them on Ebay, but Ebay pulls the auctions off because Kaplan objects. So...start looking at Ebay on Friday evening. When you see a set of these notes, contact the seller directly. Ebay pulls these auctions off on Monday, so the weekend is the time to check. Sellers know this generally.

The going rate right now is $300 and up, depending upon condition (highlighting, notes, etc).

You can also Google in "online auctions," and sometimes find them is less populated areas like Yahoo's auctions.

thanks for the advice, i think i'll go ahead and purchase those once school starts. i looked on ebay, and i can probably purchase all of them for around 350 including shipping. if i buy these books next year, and obviously take the boards in 2 years, will the books get outdated? obv. the material isn't going to change but should i wait till it gets close to actually taking the exam? thanks!