USMLE compared to COMLEX

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

drox

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I just want to confirm this info that I heard of. A professor told me that the USMLE is heavy on biochem and genetics and is in the MCAT format whereas the COMLEX is clinial based. Also I was told that these two exams are also different because the USMLE gives more than 2 clues on a question compared to the COMLEX giving only one clue.
Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

I've never taken the COMLEX but the USMLE is not really like the MCAT at all. There aren't really passages that blocks of questions are then based on. There are just clinical scenarios, usually with second or third order questions about the pathology/physiology etc.

I can't comment on the number of "clues" in each question.

The USMLE is a fairly well written exam, it has some biochem, my test didn't have much. The COMLEX is a very poorly written exam, that leaves you guessing at what they are even asking you at times, my test had maybe 2 biochem questions, but a ton of questions on birth control which wasn't in any review book or class I have ever taken. Neither is anything like the MCAT.

The USMLE is a fairly well written exam, it has some biochem, my test didn't have much. The COMLEX is a very poorly written exam, that leaves you guessing at what they are even asking you at times, my test had maybe 2 biochem questions, but a ton of questions on birth control which wasn't in any review book or class I have ever taken. Neither is anything like the MCAT.

:thumbup:

Members don't see this ad :)

The comlex sounds like an in-house med school exam.