USMLE Correlation to MCAT Performance

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

danimjo

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,

So plenty of studies have proven that there is a correlation between the MCAT performance and performance on the USMLE. To my recollection the highest area of correlation is your biological sciences MCAT score, then the physical sciences, and I just read a study that demonstrated that your verbal reasoning score is a good indicator for your performance in the clinical years of medical school.

So here's my question... does anyone know how to calculate that correlation, for example if you score 12 (which I did not, but it's an example) on the biological sciences, how does that relate to your USMLE score?

My other question is... How have some of you who have taken the USMLE Step 1 done, and how did you do on your MCAT? I realize this is purely anecdotal, but I still think it might be interesting....

Obviously, I think that studying for the USLME is hugely important and I know that is a huge part of your score. But this idea of correlation to the MCAT is intriguing to me... and so I'm not trying to determine my USMLE score from my MCAT, but just trying to gather more knowledge on the topic.... if that makes sense....

Members don't see this ad.

Very very little correlation. The USMLE has far more rote memorization than the MCAT, where most of the facts you might need would be in the passages. There's probably about as much correlation between the USMLE and the MCAT as between the USMLE and any other standardized test (SATs, GRE, etc. etc.).

I wasn't asking whether or not there was a correlation, there is a known correlation... this article is only one example of that

Unique Identifier
Status
MEDLINE
Authors
Deleted as per nonsensical valueMD policy.

Title
The predictive validity of the MCAT for medical school performance and medical board licensing examinations: a meta-analysis of the published research.
Source
Academic Medicine. 82(1):100-6, 2007 Jan.
Abstract
PURPOSE: To conduct a meta-analysis of published studies to determine the predictive validity of the MCAT on medical school performance and medical board licensing examinations. METHOD: The authors included all peer-reviewed published studies reporting empirical data on the relationship between MCAT scores and medical school performance or medical board licensing exam measures. Moderator variables, participant characteristics, and medical school performance/medical board licensing exam measures were extracted and reviewed separately by three reviewers using a standardized protocol. RESULTS: Medical school performance measures from 11 studies and medical board licensing examinations from 18 studies, for a total of 23 studies, were selected. A random-effects model meta-analysis of weighted effects sizes (r) resulted in (1) a predictive validity coefficient for the MCAT in the preclinical years of r = 0.39 (95% confidence interval [CI], 0.21-0.54) and on the USMLE Step 1 of r = 0.60 (95% CI, 0.50-0.67); and (2) the biological sciences subtest as the best predictor of medical school performance in the preclinical years (r = 0.32 95% CI, 0.21-0.42) and on the USMLE Step 1 (r = 0.48 95% CI, 0.41-0.54). CONCLUSIONS: The predictive validity of the MCAT ranges from small to medium for both medical school performance and medical board licensing exam measures. The medical profession is challenged to develop screening and selection criteria with improved validity that can supplement the MCAT as an important criterion for admission to medical schools.
Publication Type
Journal Article. Meta-Analysis.

However, I was wondering how you might calculate that correlation.....

After posting my question I found this website... although I'm not sure how valid... the idea is that medical students are self-reporting their MCAT and USMLE scores, and the website is then creating a score estimator based on the known correlation factors... seems interesting... although not definitive... really I'm just curious around it, not looking for a set in stone method

http://www.medfriends.org/step1_estimator/

Sorry, I didn't mean to say there was absolutely no correlation. Just that it is one of the weakest ones. You'd probably find a similar degree of correlation between SAT scores and the USMLE. Taking multiple choice tests well will be a benefit for either one of them, but the MCAT and USMLE are very different tests.

The MCAT, if you were smart enough, you could start almost from scratch and figure out the answer for most problems. The USMLE, you need to know the material cold to do well and while you do need to be able to integrate information, there is a lot less thinking involved.