USMLE defacto required for DO's matching Pediatrics post-merger?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Will only taking COMLEX not be well received in most programs 2020 and onward? I haven't found a reliable answer to this specifically relating to peds.

I don't know going forward and I doubt anyone can predict 4 years from now. That being said, old traditions die hard and at least in most pediatric programs, USMLE scores improve your chances of getting ones foot in the door over COMLEX only simply because, it makes applicants more comparable. Of course that is only one aspect of the total application too, so one must keep that in mind.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
What's the current state of affairs? Highly recommended to take both if interested in academic peds programs?

I can tell you in the ERAS applications for my own program, COMLEX scores are weighted lower than USMLE scores. Though I honestly don't do a lot of residency applications, these are more for academic fellowships.
 
I can tell you in the ERAS applications for my own program, COMLEX scores are weighted lower than USMLE scores. Though I honestly don't do a lot of residency applications, these are more for academic fellowships.
So, I took and passed USMLE Step I but didn't take Step II. If I'm interested in fellowship down the road, would I want to consider taking step II down the road sometime? What about Step III?
 
So, I took and passed USMLE Step I but didn't take Step II. If I'm interested in fellowship down the road, would I want to consider taking step II down the road sometime? What about Step III?

Depends for Step II. I would say if your Step I score is barely passing, it would be helpful to take Step II. One is it could make more application more competitive. Two, Step scores are known to correlate with board pass rates and board rates are obviously important to PDs because they help with recruitment of applicants and have to reported to the ACGME as a metric of performance. If you have a good Step I score, a Step II score is probably unnecessary.

As for Step III, I would say it is completely unnecessary.
 
Last edited: