USMLE Exam

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

drbruce

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm a UK student who is considering taking the USMLE exam. I have bought only one book on the USLME so far, its called High yield comprehensive USMLE step 1, and like the title says, its pretty comprehensive but to my horror, the information in this book is not entirely compatible with what a 2nd year UK student is expected to know as a trainee doctor, so much of the stuff is completely new to me. I think the focal concerned with the British eduation system is squarely on the more clinical aspects of studying medicine. Or perhaps I'm not studying enough. At least this book will become my guide from now on.

What other books or learning material will be useful in my preparation for the USMLE step 1 examination? In terms of percentages, what is a USMLE score of 220?

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

"First Aid for the USMLE Step 1" is not the bible some describe it to be, but should give you a good idea of the scope of the exam's content. I have not seen the book you describe. As for other books to use, there is no shortage of recommendations on this forum -- I recommend the long threads on Step 1 experiences and scores where people detail their study plans in extensive depth.

The relationship of raw score to scaled score has not been made public.