USMLE Format

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

TheAmazingGOB

It ain't easy bein' white
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was just thinking about this the other day so here goes (don't worry, I do NOT plan to start studying now)... Does anyone know what the format of the USMLE Step1 is? Is it multiple choice with 4 options? Is it computer-based? Is it divided into sections? How long does it take?

This probably belongs in allo, but I never read threads there so I'll start it here in case someone knows....

Members don't see this ad.

I was just thinking about this the other day so here goes (don't worry, I do NOT plan to start studying now)... Does anyone know what the format of the USMLE Step1 is? Is it multiple choice with 4 options? Is it computer-based? Is it divided into sections? How long does it take?

This probably belongs in allo, but I never read threads there so I'll start it here in case someone knows....

Multiple choice, on computers, takes all day. No straightforward "What is" type questions - generally you need to apply knowledge to facts to get to an answer. Pick up a board review type book if you want to see sample questions. No point worrying about this at the premed stage.

Multiple choice, on computers, takes all day. No straightforward "What is" type questions - generally you need to apply knowledge to facts to get to an answer. Pick up a board review type book if you want to see sample questions. No point worrying about this at the premed stage.

I'm not worried about it just curious... And are you still premed if you start med school in August?

Members don't see this ad :)

7 blocks of 50 questions with 1 hour to take each block, sometimes a-e choices sometimes a-j choices, sometimes one liner question and sometimes a very long passage with a question at the end.