Dismiss Notice
SDN members see fewer ads and full resolution images. Join our non-profit community!

USMLE Format

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by TheAmazingGOB, May 2, 2007.

1. TheAmazingGOB

TheAmazingGOB It ain't easy bein' white

Medical Student
    I was just thinking about this the other day so here goes (don't worry, I do NOT plan to start studying now)... Does anyone know what the format of the USMLE Step1 is? Is it multiple choice with 4 options? Is it computer-based? Is it divided into sections? How long does it take?

This probably belongs in allo, but I never read threads there so I'll start it here in case someone knows....

2. Thread continues after this sponsor message. SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. Law2Doc

Law2Doc 5K+ Member
    Physician Moderator Emeritus

Attending Physician
    Multiple choice, on computers, takes all day. No straightforward "What is" type questions - generally you need to apply knowledge to facts to get to an answer. Pick up a board review type book if you want to see sample questions. No point worrying about this at the premed stage.

4. TheAmazingGOB

TheAmazingGOB It ain't easy bein' white

Medical Student
    I'm not worried about it just curious... And are you still premed if you start med school in August?

5. Law2Doc

Law2Doc 5K+ Member
    Physician Moderator Emeritus

Attending Physician
    Yes. Till that first day of orientation you are still a virgin premed -- not yet jaded and tarnished. Except that in medicine you get to wear white (coats) after you lose your innocence :laugh:

6. Long Dong

Long Dong My middle name is Duc.

Attending Physician
    7 blocks of 50 questions with 1 hour to take each block, sometimes a-e choices sometimes a-j choices, sometimes one liner question and sometimes a very long passage with a question at the end.