USMLE info for foreign student

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Daja

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello!

I am a medical student in Germany and am thinking about taking the USMLE from here. Can you tell me if it is the same exam that the American students take and after how many years do you take each step?
Also I would like to know how much time of studying is necessary, do you study with old exams, textbooks, in groups/alone?
Can I get the study material online/ at Amazon?

I am thankful for any tips, since I know not much about the test itself yet!

Thanks,
Julia

P.S.: I am in my 3rd year of studying (clinical studies)

Members don't see this ad.

Originally posted by Daja
Hello!

I am a medical student in Germany and am thinking about taking the USMLE from here. Can you tell me if it is the same exam that the American students take and after how many years do you take each step?
Also I would like to know how much time of studying is necessary, do you study with old exams, textbooks, in groups/alone?
Can I get the study material online/ at Amazon?

I am thankful for any tips, since I know not much about the test itself yet!

Thanks,
Julia

P.S.: I am in my 3rd year of studying (clinical studies)

american students might study for 3-5 weeks for each exam. I would recommend 2x that for yourself, assuming english is not your 1st language (keep in mind that time may become an issue because many questions include a ton of ridiculous information) .

do as many practice questions as you can(www.kaplanmedical.com --> Qbank)

visit the international forums for advice from img's who've taken steps 1 and 2.

I will obviously spend one semester break at my computer once again :(
The contains of the exam seem very similar to ours, but believe me, the questions are nowhere near as ridiculous as here in Germany! At least all of them in the USMLE are wrapped as patient cases.

Thanks again for the info!