mossyfiber12

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Dec 25, 2007
Status
Resident [Any Field]
So I have been doing 1-2 blocks of world Qs everyday now for the past 2 weeks but my % have stayed around the same 45-50% range. My test is within a month and I am not sure exactly what I should do. Any suggestions?

Right now, I am just reading each module in FA and then doing blocks of Qs specific to that module.

I am at a loss as to what I need to do to improve...

Proverbs31

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jan 11, 2008
Northern bound
Status
Resident [Any Field]
So I have been doing 1-2 blocks of world Qs everyday now for the past 2 weeks but my % have stayed around the same 45-50% range. My test is within a month and I am not sure exactly what I should do. Any suggestions?

Right now, I am just reading each module in FA and then doing blocks of Qs specific to that module.

I am at a loss as to what I need to do to improve...
The last poster is a jerk..

So I would try to start doing questions using "ALL" or all unused. I think sometimes you start to forget topics when you only do questions related to say GI. I would relax....and do questions, reading each ones answers completely so you understand. Most answers give/teach new info anyways. I did well and was in the 50s% until like 2 weeks before my test and then rocketed up to 70-80s%. Further, there are plenty of ppl on this forum who never got above 60s% and ROCKED >250 their USMLE. Everyone is different and the Qbanks should be used as a tool to focus your studying and time yourself. Relax with all the pressure to hit huge percentages (easier said than done I know) but continue doing what works for you. As Ive said before.,..,It is very much a MIND game. Positive thinking will help you retain and absorb what you are studying.....Panic and anxiety thoughts just frustrate and seriously compromise your ability to intake what you are reading...IMO.
Best wishes and good luck.

mossyfiber12

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Dec 25, 2007
Status
Resident [Any Field]
I really hope you are right. I have about 2 weeks to go now and I am struggling to stay in the 50% when I do a block of World. I have less than 20% World left to do so I guess I am gonna start doing missed Qs after that. Do you have any (or anyone else) have any idea on which NBME I should do to get a feel for the exam? I have been on edge for the past week because of these below par results after studying harder than I ever have...thanks for the feedback. I really appreciate it.

512TA

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Aug 7, 2007
Status
Medical Student
i took subscription for a month a month back for a month and i was 80% through with a cumulative of 55%. doing untimed, tutor, random, unused. i realized that i reached a cumulative of 55% in a week but was stuck to it throught the month ( was scoring in 50s and 60s). i did not study any during that period except for solving UW and taking down notes in FA. now i will learn the notes and do a UW run through again a month before my exam. i think that would help. i realized that UW keeps hammering on some particular concepts. so if you manage to learn all the questions you are through you should do well. i dont see any reason why it should bother you.
please do put down you experience once you are done.
good luck

gman33

Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
Aug 18, 2007
Status
Attending Physician
Qbanks can beat up your confidence, but they should really be used as a learning tool. It's frustrating to have question after question when you don't really know the answer, but that's when learning is taking place.
If you are getting all the questions correct, you would already have a great knowledge base and doing the questions would be a waste of time.

The other side of the story is trying to determine if you are ready to take the exam. I'd say to take NBME or one of the UWorld tests. If the score is no where near your goal, you might need to come up with another plan.

I just started UWorld and my scores have been terrible, but that's mainly because I haven't studied most of the areas yet. I'm just trying to use it as a tool at this point, but it does freak me out a little at the same time.

vicinihil

Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
Aug 12, 2004
Status
Resident [Any Field]
Yeah don't get beat up too hard over not doing great on the qbanks. You'll have your moment later on in the study period where things make sense. Right now, just focus on learning why each answer choice is wrong. I spent on average 1.5 hours doing 24q's because I spend over an hour going over each question. After a while you get faster because you've seen a similar style or concept before.