USMLE - Official 2015 Step 2 CK Experiences and Scores Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

WBecks0

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
With 2015 right around the corner I think it's a good time to begin a Step 2 CK experiences and scores thread for 2015. Let's keep the all experiences and scores in this thread.

Good luck to everyone taking the exam in 2015!

Members don't see this ad.

Thanks for the reply. The idea that Uworld is too easy compared to the boards is exactly why I'd like to do the Clinical Mastery Series. Also, I've done UWorld too many times, and have started memorizing questions, which is another reason I'd like reach out to new material.

Has anyone done the IM Clinical Mastery Series? If so, is it helpful for the boards?
Hello, If you email me [email protected] I would explain better about it, thanks

Having done UWorld too many times, I've come to memorize their IM questions. I need another source of IM questions, and I'd like to know if the IM Clinical Mastery Series is the way to go.

Members don't see this ad :)
Just took it. Left feeling "how many ways will I be raped by the same three concepts today?" Exceptionally picky, vaguely worded, and a mental marathon don't even begin to describe it. 250s on Step 1 and left that feeling alright. Left this feeling like I failed. I don't understand.....

I studied to Step 2 CK before Step 1
My study schedule by order
Uworld qbank (84% done twice)
NBME 6: 256 (one month before)
Kaplan qbank (half of it)
Uworld Sim: 260 (2 weeks before)
Kaplan Sim 1: 76% (one week before)
Kaplan Sim 2: 81% (one week before)

CK Real deal 261.

I recommend you solving kaplan qbank in addition to uworld if you have time. Uworld simulation score was highly predictive in my case
Wish you all luck

Reactions: 2 users
I studied to Step 2 CK before Step 1
My study schedule by order
Uworld qbank (84% done twice)
NBME 6: 256 (one month before)
Kaplan qbank (half of it)
Uworld Sim: 260 (2 weeks before)
Kaplan Sim 1: 76% (one week before)
Kaplan Sim 2: 81% (one week before)

CK Real deal 261.

I recommend you solving kaplan qbank in addition to uworld if you have time. Uworld simulation score was highly predictive in my case
Wish you all luck

Congrats on the score.

Last edited by a moderator:
Just took it. Left feeling "how many ways will I be raped by the same three concepts today?" Exceptionally picky, vaguely worded, and a mental marathon don't even begin to describe it. 250s on Step 1 and left that feeling alright. Left this feeling like I failed. I don't understand.....

Im sure you did well, everyone feels that way. Just keep positive!

I think random or subject specific is okay. I prefer random because it gives you more of a sense of the real exam. Subject-specific is very good for learning (reinforcing concepts immediately) but you have to be cautious that you don't interpret your performance to be reflective of the real exam. I think there is a tradeoff between more real exam practice (random) vs. slightly better learning (subject specific). Try both and see what works for you better.

I'll be honest about CMS, people swear by it including very successful exam takers, but I didn't use them during my prep. I did 3 or 4 of them during M3 year, and found them helpful though. I only had 2.5 wks to study, so I didn't have time to use them. I think doing them during your subject studying is better than do more random blocks closer to the real exam.

Just my 2 cents, and as you can see from above, lots of people who did well on the exam have very different interpretations of what the exam is like and how to prepare best for them. No one has any real proof about what works best.

what are CMS blocks? where do i find them?

background: Img

step one 246

prep time 10 months

pre materials :MTB 2 and 3 ,Uworld ,all clinical mastery series and nbme 3, 4 ,6 ,7 and uwsa free 141

For internal medicine i used mtb 2 and would then look into mtb 3 respective section sections to see anythin extra and mark it and study only that as majority is repetition of mtb 2. for the others peads surgery obs n gyn and psychiatry would use mtb 3 then look at mtb 2 and mark any extra points that i didnt see from mtb 3

so i would do infectious disease mtb 2 then hv a look at mtb 3 extra points or pages after that i would do uworld infectious disease qns TIMED and then would only glance at the answer for 15 min and move on to another section eg rheumatology(mtb 2 ---->mtb3 ---> uworld rheuma qns etc

i did this same system until i was done with the whole of mtb2 and 3 and uworld .this took me 9 weeks

i then started dedicated u world doin roughly 50- 60 qns a day on days with explanations if i finished abit earlier i would pop one mastery serie form timed n do it in one hr at night before sleeping . this took me 2 months around 8 weeks .

after dedicated uworld i did mtb again mtb 2 for int med with extra points from respective sections of mtb 3 and then peads surgery psy obs in mtb 3 with extra points frm mtb2 if any .took me 4 weeks

took a week revising int med again from mtb 2 as i had planned to take 5 weeks for reading mtb again bt finished in 4 weeks.

i took two weeks after this cramming tables of uworld . i had written down all the tables while doing uworld dedicacated eg i would write vaccines in hiv ( qn code number ) or like histoplasmosis qn id number .

i then redid uworld quickly 3 blocks day finished in 3 weeks

i had problems understanding some questions in cvs , renal pulmo mss neuro hema git obs peads i called these the hards qns that didnt make sense to me so i reveiewed these qns in two weeks trying to understand the explanation or concepts more .

i then read some uworld notes pointers i made during dedicated in 3 days like a story

i then repeated mtb reading and at night i wud take 2 hrs and cram some uworld tables and pass thru few ekgs from uworld .this took me 3 weeks

i took a week and crammed all the things frm mtb 2 and 3 which are like volatile and easy to forget for me ,took another 1.5 week and recrammed uworld tables

i read mtb again like a story in 4 days did step one first aid book in three days like a story js reading thru 200 pages a day whatever i kud get or rmrb thot it wud help

redid uworld about 9 blocks /day one hr one block finished in 6 days

i then reviewed easy to forget things from mtb2 3 and uworld tables before the exam in abt 3 days .

for biostats i wud read step one first aid and some pages frm kaplan step one biostats after every reading of uworld or mtbs during the prep time it took abt 4 hrs for me

exam day :anxious but the exam was doable and finished blocks with 7 min to spare for review of qns i marked . i usualy finish uworld blocks or nbme /mastery series with abt 10-15 min to spare and the qns in mine atleast represented things frm everything i had prepared from .

my nbme scores june 2015 - nbme 3 221
august 2015 nbme 7 =254( took this earlier as pipo said it was the hardest bt scored well that it shocked me )

sept nbme 4 =240 nov nbme 6 =240 and uwsa =248

step 2 ck score =254

hope it helps someone out there .Work hard and dnt give up even when u feel down js wake up and do what you have to do .all the best .

Reactions: 3 users
background: Img

step one 246

prep time 10 months

pre materials :MTB 2 and 3 ,Uworld ,all clinical mastery series and nbme 3, 4 ,6 ,7 and uwsa free 141

For internal medicine i used mtb 2 and would then look into mtb 3 respective section sections to see anythin extra and mark it and study only that as majority is repetition of mtb 2. for the others peads surgery obs n gyn and psychiatry would use mtb 3 then look at mtb 2 and mark any extra points that i didnt see from mtb 3

so i would do infectious disease mtb 2 then hv a look at mtb 3 extra points or pages after that i would do uworld infectious disease qns TIMED and then would only glance at the answer for 15 min and move on to another section eg rheumatology(mtb 2 ---->mtb3 ---> uworld rheuma qns etc

i did this same system until i was done with the whole of mtb2 and 3 and uworld .this took me 9 weeks

i then started dedicated u world doin roughly 50- 60 qns a day on days with explanations if i finished abit earlier i would pop one mastery serie form timed n do it in one hr at night before sleeping . this took me 2 months around 8 weeks .

after dedicated uworld i did mtb again mtb 2 for int med with extra points from respective sections of mtb 3 and then peads surgery psy obs in mtb 3 with extra points frm mtb2 if any .took me 4 weeks

took a week revising int med again from mtb 2 as i had planned to take 5 weeks for reading mtb again bt finished in 4 weeks.

i took two weeks after this cramming tables of uworld . i had written down all the tables while doing uworld dedicacated eg i would write vaccines in hiv ( qn code number ) or like histoplasmosis qn id number .

i then redid uworld quickly 3 blocks day finished in 3 weeks

i had problems understanding some questions in cvs , renal pulmo mss neuro hema git obs peads i called these the hards qns that didnt make sense to me so i reveiewed these qns in two weeks trying to understand the explanation or concepts more .

i then read some uworld notes pointers i made during dedicated in 3 days like a story

i then repeated mtb reading and at night i wud take 2 hrs and cram some uworld tables and pass thru few ekgs from uworld .this took me 3 weeks

i took a week and crammed all the things frm mtb 2 and 3 which are like volatile and easy to forget for me ,took another 1.5 week and recrammed uworld tables

i read mtb again like a story in 4 days did step one first aid book in three days like a story js reading thru 200 pages a day whatever i kud get or rmrb thot it wud help

redid uworld about 9 blocks /day one hr one block finished in 6 days

i then reviewed easy to forget things from mtb2 3 and uworld tables before the exam in abt 3 days .

for biostats i wud read step one first aid and some pages frm kaplan step one biostats after every reading of uworld or mtbs during the prep time it took abt 4 hrs for me

exam day :anxious but the exam was doable and finished blocks with 7 min to spare for review of qns i marked . i usualy finish uworld blocks or nbme /mastery series with abt 10-15 min to spare and the qns in mine atleast represented things frm everything i had prepared from .

my nbme scores june 2015 - nbme 3 221
august 2015 nbme 7 =254( took this earlier as pipo said it was the hardest bt scored well that it shocked me )

sept nbme 4 =240 nov nbme 6 =240 and uwsa =248

step 2 ck score =254

hope it helps someone out there .Work hard and dnt give up even when u feel down js wake up and do what you have to do .all the best .

Congrats on the great score.

anyone has an unexpired UWorld subscription for a few more months ? I need one until July but would not buy it at the full market price (ugh, $400). If you passed your step 2 and do not need to use your subscription, would you sell it to me, plz? pm me if so

Members don't see this ad :)
Used MKSAP5 for shelf exams. Thought the questions were way too simple then and I believe they'd be useless for CK, personally.

Not sure about the higher level MKSAP ones

Reactions: 1 user
Used MKSAP5 for shelf exams. Thought the questions were way too simple then and I believe they'd be useless for CK, personally.

Not sure about the higher level MKSAP ones
Thanks for the reply. I'm trying to steer clear from anything that's too easy, so I appreciate your input.

hi everyone,

Today i have got my scores for CK: 255

I have prepared right after i have taken step 1 (Step 1 score was 232 which is a little disappointing but anyway :))
I have studied 4 months roughly for CK, i have used MTB 2 and 3, UW (best source for CK), NBME shelf exams (I think these are really helpful and I see new forms are submitted, I advise for you to go through all of the shelf exams)
I want to say one thing, though, the only best thing you can do is improve a personal strategy for yourself. that does not mean don't listen or read what other people say, but manage to have your own way of handling things. I think, what i did wrong with step 1 was just trying to make things like other people do, however these exams are so long and personal experience is what that counts. be courageous and believe in yourself and experiences.
i have learned from my step 1 experience so that i have managed my schedule and studying style according to my way of learning, i recommend for you to find your best way to study such an exam like this.
by the way, during the exam I could only have had 2-3 minutes to go over my marked questions in each block which is weird because i usually have had like 10 minutes in Uworld blocks. Thus, as many people say, you will have a time problem probably, don't let it take you down during the exam.
my mock exam results were:
NBME 4: 234- 1.5 months away
NBME 6: 239 - 1 month away
UWSA 1: 256 - 2 weeks away
NBME 7: 229- 1 week away
Free 151: %88- 3 days away

i want to wish good luck for everybody planing to take the exam :D

Reactions: 5 users
hi everyone,

I have prepared right after i have taken step 1 (Step 1 score was 232 which is a little disappointing but anyway :))
I have studied 4 months roughly for CK, i have used MTB 2 and 3, UW (best source for CK), NBME shelf exams (I think these are really helpful and I see new forms are submitted, I advise for you to go through all of the shelf exams)
I want to say one thing, though, the only best thing you can do is improve a personal strategy for yourself. that does not mean don't listen or read what other people say, but manage to have your own way of handling things. I think, what i did wrong with step 1 was just trying to make things like other people do, however these exams are so long and personal experience is what that counts. be courageous and believe in yourself and experiences.
i have learned from my step 1 experience so that i have managed my schedule and studying style according to my way of learning, i recommend for you to find your best way to study such an exam like this.
by the way, during the exam I could only have had 2-3 minutes to go over my marked questions in each block which is weird because i usually have had like 10 minutes in Uworld blocks. Thus, as many people say, you will have a time problem probably, don't let it take you down during the exam.

When did you take the test :)?

Took CK on January 26 and got my score back today (Feb 17, 4th Wednesday after my exam).

I'll post a more detailed review of what I did and how I scored later today.

Last edited:
Hi guys, I gave my exam a few days back, 2nd attempt after a lot of prep 3.5 months after the last attempt, conpared to last time the exam felt a notch easier and more balanced, first block was tough as it usually is I believe but then blocks 2-6 felt much easier and then 7-8 were medium-difficult and the last block 9 had 32 questions which were longer but due to more time being available to solve them compensated for the length, felt like a mix of UWSA and NBME in question style....However by no means do I feel like I mastered the exam, many questions were tricky and still have doubts about quite a few answers, in every block there would be 7-8 questions that made me pick an educated guess rather than a confirmed answer, however this time around my time management was better and I didnt leave any question unanswered although in block 7-8 i did rush in the last few questions.
Here are my prep stats;

UWORLD did 2nd time through timed tutored subject and system wise since last time random tutored didnt help me improve my concepts and I felt I needed to practice each system individually to understand the questions better and It did me a lot of benefit in making the Dx faster and efficiently. Scored 83% overall

UWSA; 230 3 days before exam
NBME 6; 225 2 days before exam
NBME 4; 237 1 day before exam
Nbme Psych form 1; 35/50 questions correct
Nbme Neuro form 1; 36/50 questions correct
Nbme Neuro form 2; 37/50 questions correct

Before my last attempt in sept I had gotten 73-75% in uworld random timed tutored and my nbme 7 was 223. Exam felt very very tough at that time I had missed questions and found every block very difficult, this time it didnt feel that way at least

What do you guys think? Will I make it through? What score should I expect?

I'm sure it will be fine :). Is that what made it tough; The many wierd questions? I don't understand why the test makers insist on making these huge questions and cheap tricks like messing up the contrast of the picture. I saw a few like that on NBME 6 as well. Easy psych sounds good as I have trouble remembering the exact parameters of some of the psych stuff. What's your strategy for disregarding irrelevant content?
What are the clinical mastery questions?

dusting off my old account to share my experiences because this thread/SDN in general has been so helpful for my prep and I'm pleased with my results

my background: US medical student who has struggled greatly academically for the first 2 years. After MS2 I studied for 6 weeks but was still unprepared for Step 1. I had to take 6 additional weeks to study which meant I would be graduating a year later (which explains the extra time I had to prep for CK).

Step 1 score: ~220 (3 passes through FA Step 1, 3 passes through pathoma, 2 1/2 passes through Uworld)

MS3 shelf exams: mostly below average.
I completed 3/4 Uworld during my third year rotations and usually scored around 60-65%

Total dedicated prep time for step 2ck: 6 weeks. I studied ~6 days a week averaging 6-8 hours of focused work.
For the week 1-2 I did a run through First Aid and USMLE Secrets while completing the remaining new-to-me Uworld questions available in tutor mode (average around 65%). As an below to average student I found the books to be well worth the time studying to reinforce some of the basics.
week 2: Uworld Self Assessment 230
week 4: Finished Uworld second pass average around 80% in tutor mode but I had memorized a lot of answers from 1st pass.
week 4: NBME 4 online: 229
week 4-5: I did 8-10 timed blocks of Kaplan Qbank and was scoring around 65% in timed. I started to get discouraged with the difficulty and low-yield topics compared to Uworld. While I was learning valuable information from the Kaplan Qbank questions, I felt that my actual test taking skills were getting worse because Kaplan was training me to second guess myself (there are too many "trick" questions) and focus too much on red herrings. For my final two weeks of prep I went back to repeating Uworld questions even though at this point I was getting ~90% correct due to question familiarity. If I could do everything again I would have spent time on Kaplan Qbank in the beginning to build my knowledge then finish prep with Uworld to improve test taking skills.
week 5: NBME 7 online: 219 (This was somewhat disheartening. I really thank SDN for helping manage the stress I had here. It was very encouraging to know that NBME 7 is so under-predictive for average students like myself. Don't let NBME 7 crush your spirits.)
week 5: Free 150: 80% correct

EXAM DAY week 6: Every block was a race to finish. Only one block was short a few questions otherwise they were all full length for me. Only 1-2 drug advertisements and maybe 2 journal articles. The question stems weren't as long as expected, they were quite similar to the online NBMEs but I was wasting a lot of time dwelling/thinking on tricky questions. I finished most blocks with a few minutes to spare and there were only a few times I had to really skim or guess a question due to time constraints. I managed stress by taking a short break and stretching out/snacking between every single block (yes it's super annoying to repeatedly sign in and out.) I kept telling myself that from experiences I read here, everybody feels stressed out and that they're failing on test day. I tried my best to trust my exam prep and focus on grinding out the day moving from one question to the next without every looking back.

Final Step2 CK score: 245 (I got my score back third wednesday after test day)

Things I would have done differently: I didn't do any of the clinical mastery stuff, I wish I had done some of those so I could save more Uworld for the end. I also wish I had done Kaplan Qbank earlier in my prep, also to save Uworld for later. I'm happy that I went through each of my review books only once as I don't think re-reading the same things again would be effective use of time. Uworld as always is king. Plan to do all the qbank questions you can possibly handle in your prep and try to stack more of the NBME/Uworld questions towards the end to hone your testing skills.

Final thoughts: I think my performance exceeded expectations because I managed exam day stress much better than many students. Trust in your preparation. Really take it to heart that on test day the vast majority of people are stressing out about their performance and suffer for it. Focus on one question at a time and just keep grinding. Take as many breaks as you need to mentally reset yourself but don't spend it thinking about things like "how many questions did I mark on that last block?" "how many questions am I getting wrong so far today". If you stick to your guns you will meet or exceed NBME (esp form 7) and UWSA expectations.

Good luck everyone

[edit] maybe this should have been posted in the 2016 thread. sorry. mods feel free to move it.

Reactions: 12 users
hi everyone,

Congrats on your good score. I remember you from the Step 1 forum and how you felt your hardwork didn't pay off during Step 1. 255 is a big step up All the best for CS!!

Woo-hoo! Got my score yesterday. Excited to share my experience as I know it used to help me reading others...

Started 2 months earlier with an easy rotation. Read IM ESSENTIALS and did the online questions that come with the book (this included "high value care" which is important for internal medicine). Along I read some First Aid for step 2 ck. For the topics not covered in IM ESSENTIALS ie. Psyc, peds, obgyn, I read first aid as well as some Becker videos I had.

5 weeks before the exam i started UWORLD questions (Gold). I purchased DIT for step 2, same as I did for step 1. I would watch 5 to 6 videos of DIT and then do about 2×44 questions on uworld, mixed and timed. UWORLD Avg 80%. When I got bored during the day I would stimulate my brain with some Quizlet that other students prelared.

Note! I did uworld questions once. I think it's a waste of time repeating the same questions multiple times. So, those I got wrong I read and wrote the explanations in a notebook and first aid book. Those I got right and flagged I read the explanation for. But those I got right and didn't flag - bamn! Skipped. That means my brain got the concept just fine. No reason to waste time.

Nbme 6 - 240 (4 weeks before the real exam)
Nbme 4 - 256 (2 weeks before real exam)
UWORLD assessment - 265 (1 week before)
Fred 150 - 88% (3 days prior)

Real exam STEP 2 CK: 255

Congrats! I Just took my exam 3/18. How did you feel coming out of your test?

ey guys,

Just took the exam yesterday.
All my blocks were 44 except one that was 42, and the last one had 20..
Overall, its obviously a very long exam, and idk if it was just my luck but atleast 60-70% of my exam were 4-5 lines.
Dont get me wrong it was still pretty tough and there were long stems but definitely doable, i had about 1-2 mins left after each block.
It was similar to UWorld but a little bit more tough.
I took UWSA 4 days before and got 234 so, ill be happy with anything above a 235.

Reactions: 1 users
Overall, its obviously a very long exam, and idk if it was just my luck but atleast 60-70% of my exam were 4-5 lines.
Dont get me wrong it was still pretty tough and there were long stems but definitely doable, i had about 1-2 mins left after each block.
I took UWSA 4 days before and got 234 so, ill be happy with anything above a 235.

ey guys,

Did your scheduling permit dissapeared?

Hey guys I'm in a dire need of your help so please read my situation and give me your thoughts.

Basically I'm an IMG and far as how smart I am average person that being said I tend to take a little longer than the usual medical student to prepare.

Step 1: 205
Now preparing for step 2 ck hoping to redeem my self some how but my assessments are not helping .

Started November 2015 and used MTB 2,3 and Yale. Read most of usmle secrets.

Uworld : first time got 56% and second time got 69%
Kaplan: about 60% completed 50% of qbank
UsmleRx: around 60% completed 50% of qbank
Usmle Rx simulations: 213, 227, 229
Nbme 3: 160 took it at the beginning Jan 2016
Nbme 4: 180 end of Jan 2016
Nbme 6: 204 March 2016
Nbme 7: 206 April 2016
Nbme 4: 221 took it again cause I ran out of
assessment and I never reviewed it
Clinical Masters:
- IM 1: 74%; IM2: 68%; IM 3: 72%
- Ob1: 70%; Ob2: 62%; Ob 3: 54%
- Peds1: 58%; Peds3: 56%; Peds4: 62%
- surgery 4: 59%
Uworld simulation: 214 yesterday
Free 130 is set for tomorrow

I'm just hoping to get 220+ and my exam is next week. I'm just afraid that I'm so close to boarder line with Uworld simulation and everyone saying it's so accurate one wrong mistake I can fail. So basically what I'm asking is what do you guys thing I feel I used up all my resources and don't know what more to do. Also does the free 130 have any correlation? Basically would I at least pass considering the position I am in right now ?

If I was to take the exam I was planning on going through Uworld incorrects and just reviewing my notes.

Last edited:
Hey, yeah I just checked and it's gone. So this means tomorrow we find out right?
I suppossed you will get the score tomorrow. It says the scheduling permit is not available because the person already sat for the test, but the link is still there. I'm anxious because I don't know if I will get the score tomorrow or next wednesday.

Materials used:

MTB 2 + some of MTB 3 (mostly just OB, peds, and psych).
Used the kaplan HY lectures which are by the same guy who wrote MTB. Lectures have always made it easier for me to go through tonnes of information in books. Went through the lectures x 2 during dedicated time; read the corresponding book sections after each lecture.

Dedicated study time: 1 month

uworld average - Don't really remember exactly but I think it was around 86-87%. Did uworld in 13 days first pass. Marked about 900 questions on the first pass where I wasn't dead certain, repeated all marked questions during the dedicated prep time.

Uworld self assessment: 265 - Theoretical max score with 800 raw score

Real deal - 267.

Also i highly recommend onlinemeded.org during third year. Really damn good lectures for free. Website was recommended to me by a friend with a 261 and 269 and pretty much all honors through clerkships. I used the website extensively for my peds clerkship, destroyed the shelf with a 99.

The reason i mention the website here is that the website can be a valuable resource especially if someone has >3 months of prep time. Wouldn't recommend with a month of dedicated time though, but it can be used to stream lectures of weak topics.