USMLE Percent

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

JDatHeart

The Scrubs Addict
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just starting to prep... Just curious, do they look at % on the test because looking at these forums it seems to vary. For example, how does a 240/99 compare with a 240/96 etc. as far as awesomeness?

Members don't see this ad.

Just starting to prep... Just curious, do they look at % on the test because looking at these forums it seems to vary. For example, how does a 240/99 compare with a 240/96 etc. as far as awesomeness?
The two digit score is neither a percent or percentile. Also, 240 will always be a 99 as of late.

The two digit score is neither a percent or percentile. Also, 240 will always be a 99 as of late.

the exam is 322 MC questions: 7 blocks of 46 questions.

Is the scoring generally 1 point per question? if that's the case then a score of 240 equates to 82 mistakes.. right?

82 mistakes over 7 blocks is about 11 mistakes per block.

Last edited:
the exam is 322 MC questions: 7 blocks of 46 questions.

Is the scoring generally 1 point per question? if that's the case then a score of 240 equates to 82 mistakes.. right?

82 mistakes over 7 blocks is about 11 mistakes per block.

I don't know how it's scored but that can't be right.

I bet a 240 is closer to 3 to 5 mistakes per block.

Anyone know?

Members don't see this ad :)
I don't know how it's scored but that can't be right.

I bet a 240 is closer to 3 to 5 mistakes per block.

Anyone know?

yep you're right. I read more about this yesterday and apparently nobody really knows how its scored. There's some 50 experimental questions that dont even count so that immediately creates a luck factor if you got most of those right compared to someone whose mistakes where only in those 50...

3-5 mistakes per block only would get you an immediate 99 man :)

From what I've read on here it's just like the MCAT - it's a bell curve.

The difference between a 277 and a 255 may be 5 questions, whereas the difference between a 195 and a 200 may be 15 questions. (Completely fabricated example to show the main point)

That certainly makes the most sense to me.

From what I've read on here it's just like the MCAT - it's a bell curve.

The difference between a 277 and a 255 may be 5 questions, whereas the difference between a 195 and a 200 may be 15 questions. (Completely fabricated example to show the main point)

That certainly makes the most sense to me.

yeah that's true. The differences do vary depending on where you are on that curve.

Just starting to prep... Just curious, do they look at % on the test because looking at these forums it seems to vary.

No. The % is meaningless to everyone except a small percentage of state licensing agencies, and the only thing they care about is that your % is 75% or above.

For example, how does a 240/99 compare with a 240/96 etc. as far as awesomeness?

You're completely misinterpreting what the percentage means. It is simply a scaled version of your three digit score that exists only to satisfy the archaic requirements of a few licensing agencies that scores be presented in two-digit percentile format.

Asking how a 240/99 compares to a 240/96 is like asking how 1 kilometer/1000 meters compares to 1 kilometer/950 meters. It makes no sense whatsoever, because 1 km will always have 1000 meters. Likewise, 240 will always be 99 (at least for the foreseeable future).

Sorry, I'm just amazed at how much confusion the percentage generates. They should just stop routinely reporting it.

if it is neither a percentile nor a percentage, what is it? i know it doesn't matter, but it is vexing to still not understand it!!!