• AMA with Certified Student Loan Professional

Join SDN on December 7th at 6:00 PM Eastern as we host Andrew Paulson of StudentLoanAdvice.com for an AMA webinar. He'll be answering your questions about how to best manage your student loans. Register now!

USMLE required for fellowship?

bashwell

5+ Year Member
Mar 21, 2013
  1. Resident [Any Field]
    I'm a UK medical student and is planning to complete my residency outside of USA and UK. Do I need to take the USMLE if I want to apply for a fellowship program at the States? Thanks!
    I think it might depend on what fellowship program you're applying to (e.g., an IM subspecialty, a general surgical fellowship, EM, radiology, anesthesia). But in general, yes, you do. And not only take it but pass it. By the way the USMLE is composed of Step 1, Step 2CK, Step 2CS and Step 3. Each is a major exam that lasts a full day.

khaopoad

Aug 18, 2017
    1. Medical Student
      I think it might depend on what fellowship program you're applying to (e.g., an IM subspecialty, a general surgical fellowship, EM, radiology, anesthesia). But in general, yes, you do. And not only take it but pass it. By the way the USMLE is composed of Step 1, Step 2CK, Step 2CS and Step 3. Each is a major exam that lasts a full day.
      Thank you very much!

Anicetus

5+ Year Member
      Apr 11, 2013
      1. Medical Student
        I'm a UK medical student and is planning to complete my residency outside of USA and UK. Do I need to take the USMLE if I want to apply for a fellowship program at the States? Thanks!

Absolutely for GI and cardio (I think), and they also look at those scores so try to do as well as possible on them.

This thread is more than 4 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
        2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
        3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
        4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
        5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
        6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
        7. This thread is locked.