USMLE Rx Aveage

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Postictal Raiden

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Since there's a thread for UWorld averages, I decided to make one for USMLE Rx.

I have been doing a block of mixed qs tutor mode every night for the past month. My overall performance shows that I'm sitting on 73%. I will continue using this Qbank for the next ten days before switching to UWorld.

I am wondering, how is doing 73% three months away from the real deal?

Members don't see this ad.

I anticipate to write around July and am currently sitting at 78% (just dropped from 79%) Mixed tutor mode.

From Rx's website:

USMLE-Rx Step Qmax(%)*2.64 + 47 = USMLE Step 1 3-digit score (+/- 20 for the 95% CI)

Not sure how accurate it is, and it has a large confidence interval, but I've been using it.

Reactions: 1 users
I anticipate to write around July and am currently sitting at 78% (just dropped from 79%) Mixed tutor mode.

From Rx's website:

USMLE-Rx Step Qmax(%)*2.64 + 47 = USMLE Step 1 3-digit score (+/- 20 for the 95% CI)

Not sure how accurate it is, and it has a large confidence interval, but I've been using it.
Good job on the high performance. I'm taking their formula with a big grain of salt. There's no way I'd score 240 on the USMLE if I were to take the test now.

I sometime notice that Rx asks very detailed questions while providing very vague presentations. This gets me so frustrated, but that's how the real deal is, I guess.

Good job on the high performance. I'm taking their formula with a big grain of salt. There's no way I'd score 240 on the USMLE if I were to take the test now.

I sometime notice that Rx asks very detailed questions while providing very vague presentations. This gets me so frustrated, but that's how the real deal is, I guess.
Don't rely on the scoring indicator; it's really innaccurate.
When I started Rx, I thought it was really, really hard. I was pulling 60-65% (4 months before my exam)
By the end of the question bank which was 1 month out, I found Rx questions to be too easy. Was pulling 90%+ averages. Never thought I would say that when I started, so stick with it.

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Since there's a thread for UWorld averages, I decided to make one for USMLE Rx.

I have been doing a block of mixed qs tutor mode every night for the past month. My overall performance shows that I'm sitting on 73%. I will continue using this Qbank for the next ten days before switching to UWorld.

I am wondering, how is doing 73% three months away from the real deal?
73% is good IMO, but I heard UWorld is a better predictor...

73% is good IMO, but I heard UWorld is a better predictor...

Have you tried UW yet? The questions are night and day different-- Rx spoon feeds you the answer except for the ridiculous detailed answers that Rx goes for

Rx is good at assessing EBV, Burkitt lymphoma and rheumatic fever.

Have you tried UW yet? The questions are night and day different-- Rx spoon feeds you the answer except for the ridiculous detailed answers that Rx goes for
I just purchased UWorld about a week ago and I plan to use it during dedicated study time (10 weeks).... I decided to try it about an hour ago... Since I just finished my micro class and did relatively ok (mid 80s average), I say 'let me do 10 micro questions'. I was shocked after doing these questions. I only got 5/10... This is crazy! These questions are difficult.

No QBank percentage is considered to be a "good predictor." Take QBank percentages with a grain of salt (unless you're scoring ~84% or higher on UWorld, which is a range within which I've seen most students scoring at least 250+).

NBMEs are the only reliable predictive tool.

I just purchased UWorld about a week ago and I plan to use it during dedicated study time (10 weeks).... I decided to try it about an hour ago... Since I just finished my micro class and did relatively ok (mid 80s average), I say 'let me do 10 micro questions'. I was shocked after doing these questions. I only got 5/10... This is crazy! These questions are difficult.
Don't waste any more questions. Save them so you can have appropriately balanced "randomization" when you start doing 44-question blocks during dedicated.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
No QBank percentage is considered to be a "good predictor." Take QBank percentages with a grain of salt (unless you're scoring ~84% or higher on UWorld, which is a range within which I've seen most students scoring at least 250+).

NBMEs are the only reliable predictive tool.

Don't waste any more questions. Save them so you can have appropriately balanced "randomization" when you start doing 44-question blocks during dedicated.
That's the plan! Since UWorld questions seem to be a lot harder than Rx, I am going to try to finish with Rx in the first 3 weeks of dedicated time before doing Uworld.

Around how many weeks/months did it take for you guys to go through most of Rx? And how many hours per day did you put in for it? I'm still debating on whether to go for the 3 month (for more time) or 1 month (to start closer to dedicated) subscription.

I'm doing 44qs (one block) per day. so at this pace in one month you'll finish 1300 qs. That's approximately half of the available qs. If you do a block per day, you'd need two months to finish.

Takes me 4-5 hours to do and fully review each block. It takes this long because reading the explanations and the FA excerpts take forever, but that's how you learn. It does put a stain on your schedule if you are still in school, but if i can do it with my busy school schedule and not-so-great time management skills, anyone can.

Members don't see this ad :)
Around how many weeks/months did it take for you guys to go through most of Rx? And how many hours per day did you put in for it? I'm still debating on whether to go for the 3 month (for more time) or 1 month (to start closer to dedicated) subscription.

Agree with with @Ibn Alnafis MD said above.

Also, Make sure you leave time for uworld during dedicated period. It would be better to do Rx right now and uworld later on.

Any updates on score correlation of Rx with the real deal, etc? @Ibn Alnafis MD
Hard to tell. I stopped using Rx in early March. at that point I had done ~70% of the Qbank. My cumulative was ~75% IIRC. I took NBME 15 (217) then began UWorld until end of April. In that time, I finished about 70% of UWorld at ~70% correct. Took NBME 11 and got a score in 240's, I think.

So to answer your question, I can't give you a correlation between Rx and the read deal because I used it as a step stone to be ready for UWorld. 70% first pass + 90% second pass of UWorld, along with taking every NBME exam under the sun yielded a score of low 250's on the read deal.

What makes UWorld a better qbank than Rx? I have two weeks til my exam, and I'm wondering if I should do UWorld a third pass or do Rx?

Anyone happen to take an NBME after completing this qbank (or mid-way) to see how their score compared to the score predictor? TIA.

Anyone happen to take an NBME after completing this qbank (or mid-way) to see how their score compared to the score predictor? TIA.
Took NBME 15 right after I stopped doing Rx (had done about 75% of the Qbank with average of ~74% IIRC). It was 3 months before dedicated. 217.

Edit: oops just realized that, above, I had answered the same q.

My school gives us access to the Kaplan Step1 and Level 1 QBanks. Do you think it would be better to use this time for Rx instead of Kaplan? I am planning on completing UWorld 2x as well after I do RX or Kaplan.

I think Kaplan is definitely a better qbank compared to Rx. The explanations are much better and it seems higher quality as far as the questions. My 2 cents.

Reactions: 2 users
Hard to tell. I stopped using Rx in early March. at that point I had done ~70% of the Qbank. My cumulative was ~75% IIRC. I took NBME 15 (217) then began UWorld until end of April. In that time, I finished about 70% of UWorld at ~70% correct. Took NBME 11 and got a score in 240's, I think.

So to answer your question, I can't give you a correlation between Rx and the read deal because I used it as a step stone to be ready for UWorld. 70% first pass + 90% second pass of UWorld, along with taking every NBME exam under the sun yielded a score of low 250's on the read deal.

Was it helpful to do every NBME? Did you see question repeats? I'm wondering if I should take an extra week to do this.

When you did USMLE-RX, what worked best for learning the material?

Right now I'm about four months away from my scheduled test date, finished 944 questions so far, and at 61% correct, timed mode. Right now, I read the FA section for my incorrects as well as looking at the incorrect answer choice explanations, and type up my errors into a word document. How did you go over your incorrects in RX? (as in did you review your wrong answers each morning, each night, once a week, etc)

I'm saving UWorld until I'm about two months away from my test date, and I'm going to try to get through UW twice. Also, since you did all of the NBMEs, how did you space these into your schedule? One NBME a week or so?

Last edited: