USMLE Score

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ryba

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey yall,
So I got a 233 on Step 1.
I guess I'm just curious on thoughts of how competitive a score this is...
I've looked at different specialties and looked at the average usmle scores, etc. But I wanted to hear from some other students/residents/docs whoever.

Thanks everyone!

Members don't see this ad.

It is slightly above average......like the stats say. There is much more to an application than Step 1.

Will make you competitive for things like IM, FM, Psy, Peds, OB

Right on, for Anes, Gen Surgery, EM,

Slightly below Optho, Rads

Derm, Plastics, Ortho
Agreed, as J DUB said there is more than just the score. That is the filter, get a publication, etc and it will help

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey yall,
So I got a 233 on Step 1.
I guess I'm just curious on thoughts of how competitive a score this is...
I've looked at different specialties and looked at the average usmle scores, etc. But I wanted to hear from some other students/residents/docs whoever.

Thanks everyone!

I think that is competitive for some fields! Congrats! When did you take the exam and get your score back?

Thanks everyone, I wouldn't mind Alaska! Haha, yea I'm not trying to become a dermatologist or anything, I'm actually pretty interested in peds. I took it May 9th and got my score during the last week of May, pretty quick!

You're fine.

You can get into some great peds programs with a 233 provided the rest of your app is solid.

Probably not CHOP, Boston, or Cincinnati though unless you have connections.

I think things may be a bit convoluted by the usual SDN overachievers which seem to congregate here. If you are an AMG with a 233 step 1 and no red flags, you're pretty much qualified for any peds program in the country outside of the top 10.

Hi everyone, I need some advice.

I have recently received my USMLE Step 1 score and I performed very poorly compared to what I was hoping to get. I scored 218, with the test average being 228. This is very unusual for me. I am studying at a medical school in Ireland and hoping to get a residency in General Surgery in the US. I am normally at the top of my med school class but did very poorly on this exam.

I am just wondering what my chances would be to get a residency. Any advice to improve my application and anything else that could help.

All advice is welcome. I would really appreciate it. Thanks a bunch!