USMLE score

Discussion in 'Anesthesiology' started by white daisy, Apr 18, 2004.

1. white daisy

white daisy Member
    7+ Year Member

some programs state on their webpage what USMLE score they prefer that applicants have. If i get anything below their cut off line, is it even worth applying to their program? Also, what is the average USMLE I score of people who match into anesthesia?

2. BassDominator

BassDominator Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

I'm curious.... What schools have cutoffs? What are they?

I think the average board score question is really hard to answer. There was a thread here not long ago titled something like "for those of you who matched" which had people's board score and where they matched. I can't seem to find it anymore, but maybe we can repeat it for the folks who will be applying in September.

I think it's safe to say the average board score will get you into a good program, while an above average score will get you into a very good to excellent program. But the programs also tend to look at the complete picture (grades, research, personal statement, letters, experience, etc.), too.

3. moha

moha Member
    7+ Year Member

GWU states that they would like to see steps 1 and 2 at 195 or above.

4. UT-houstons cutoff is 215 step 1

5. scoobydum

scoobydum Member
    10+ Year Member

Actually, thats incorrect. I know somebody who matched at UT-Houston with less than that.

6. Gaser

Gaser New Member

I'm a student @ UT-Houston and doing Anesthesia elsewhere and know at least 3 with Step 1's below 215.
    Ps... The rumor mill is that Katz is steppin down as chair!

7. VentdependenT

VentdependenT You didnt build thaT
    Physician Moderator Emeritus 15+ Year Member

Fellow [Any Field]
    From 206-250's. You will match if your scores fall within this range. Make sure to apply to plenty of places if your score is on the low end.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  8. Whoa! katz is leaving?

Im an MS2 at UT houston - he told us that he cuts off interviews at 215 --unless -- you are a UT -houston student.... then he lets you slide and interview anyway.

9. blahblahblah

blahblahblah Junior Member
    5+ Year Member

Hello,
    Just wondering if I'm scr#@ed for residency with a score of 214 on step 1. Would greatly appreciate someone's advice on this and whether I should take Step 2 in July and have just 4 weeks to study vs. taking it in the fall and study (or try to study) a bit during the months b4 the exam and then the full month before the exam. Some say to take it right after 3rd yr, so I'm wondering what I should do. I'd appreciate any advice at all.
    Thanks!

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  10. BassDominator

BassDominator Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

I would say you are far from screwed. Many people do quite well applying in anesthesia with those scores, or even less. There's more to an application than just board scores. With any score, you should still apply to a good number of programs.... it's always hard to tell which programs you would be a good match for until you actually visit.