USMLE Score

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

postbacpremed87

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
What if I score mid 230s on the USMLE but do less than favorable on the COMLEX (but still pass). Will Path residencies primarily look at my USMLE score? In addition, what would you say is the minimum score a DO would need for a solid mid-tier Path residency? 225-230?

Members don't see this ad.

So I ended up with a 239 on Step 1. That was a little lower than my highest NBME but I will take it. What programs can a DO with a Step 1 of 239 and honors in years 1-2 reasonably attain? My goal is community practice. Could I be competitive at the likes of Cleveland Clinic, U Mich, UVA?

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Anybody have any insight into the chances of getting a residency in California with a Step 1 of 236 (COMLEX of 652)?

I would suspect you are competitive at those three programs you listed. Probably depends on the year though - sometimes things are tougher than other years.

So I ended up with a 239 on Step 1. That was a little lower than my highest NBME but I will take it. What programs can a DO with a Step 1 of 239 and honors in years 1-2 reasonable attain? My goal is community practice. Could I be competitive at the likes of Cleveland Clinic, U Mich, UVA?

Just matched last March. I scored lower on Step 1 and got interviews at 2/3 of those.

That's a great Step 1 score for pathology! Now just do as well as you can in everything else -- try to be a well-rounded candidate. Enjoy med school, pursue your passions, and kick butt during interview season :happy:

Reactions: 1 user