1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice

USMLE SCORES?

Discussion in 'Medical Students - MD' started by diamondhog, Mar 11, 2000.

1. diamondhog

diamondhog Junior Member
    10+ Year Member

Im a 4th year osteopathic student and I plan on taking part 1 and 2 of the USMLE this summer. I have already match for a residency and have completed the first two parts of the osteopathic boards. While researching the USMLE website I noticed that precentile rankings are not released. Can someone give me information on what score is considered passing, above average and strong? Also, do you have to take the tests in order (part 1 before part 2)? I would prefer to take part 2 now since I'll have to relearn all the minor details I've flushed over the past 1.5 years.

Thanks

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. Future DOc

Future DOc Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

I am still a little perplexed as to why you are considering taking the USMLE when you have already passed COMLEX Level 1&2 & MATCHED!!! Are you planning to pracice in Louisiana? If not, your situation will allow you to practice medicine in 49 states!! Can you tell us the reason for your plans?

To answer your question, the information you need is all presented in the First Aid for the USMLE Step 1&2. I believe the passing score for Step 1 is 176, but don't quote me on that one. The following websites may be helpful also to your qusetions:
    http://www.nbme.org OR
    http://www.usmle.org

I hope this helps!!! Good luck!! [​IMG]

Rob
    WesternU/COMP MS II

4. medstud

medstud Junior Member

Passing in 2000 is 179. This is the 7%.
    In 1999,
    150 was 1%
    215 was the mean
    248 was 98%
    The USMLE no longer uses percentile ranking b/c it is meaningless number.

[This message has been edited by medstud (edited 03-16-2000).]

5. Just a reply to keep this current since I knocked it off with all the med school posts.