USMLE scores

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

chuwoods

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was just wondering what board scores you need to have to be competitive for EM residency? And for a top program?

Thanks

Good luck to everyone on match day. :luck:

Members don't see this ad.

1. If you're a US grad, as long as you pass Step I, you're in the hunt.

2. Don't even mention "the top programs".

Even if you don't do a search (which would pay dividends), just read through the threads that are on the pages here for more info. You can even change the parameters for how far back, to see even more threads.

or...you can read the faq

Members don't see this ad :)
Chuwoods: we're really good people, but EM folks have this paradoxical thing where the attention span is short and yet there are things you shouldn't re-hash all the time. So subjects change in rapid fashion.

Definitely read the sticky, do a search, and hang around. Your questions will be answered well, inasmuch as it is possible to answer them at all. But you should be advised, threads that start as unhelpful or not-new-questions quickly become threads about beers and In N' Out Burger. It's nothing personal, just a cultural thing on this board.

Febrifuge said:
Chuwoods: we're really good people, but EM folks have this paradoxical thing where the attention span is short and yet there are things you shouldn't re-hash all the time. So subjects change in rapid fashion.

Definitely read the sticky, do a search, and hang around. Your questions will be answered well, inasmuch as it is possible to answer them at all. But you should be advised, threads that start as unhelpful or not-new-questions quickly become threads about beers and In N' Out Burger. It's nothing personal, just a cultural thing on this board.

Febrifuge you crack me up! :laugh:

In terms of the original question by Chuwoods , I agree with the posts above although I woud say Indiana (ranked them #1) is an excellent program instead of calling it a "top program" as there really is no such thing which you'll realize once you read previous posts, sticky, etc.

Febrifuge said:
But you should be advised, threads that start as unhelpful or not-new-questions quickly become threads about beers and In N' Out Burger. It's nothing personal, just a cultural thing on this board.

There is absolutly nothing wrong with beer or In-N'-Out......man I could go for both right now...

Too bad I'm on the east coast....

For what its worth my advisor (big shot at Cook County) told me today that an average Board score will leave you within range of all programs except Cali (although some programs are still within reach, Denver, and Seattle.

Anyhow as has been described ad nauseum there is more to EM than your Step I.

For what its worth my advisor (big shot at Cook County) told me that an average Board score will leave you within range of all programs except Cali (although some programs are still within reach, Denver, and Seattle.

Anyhow as has been described ad nauseum there is more to EM than your Step I.

Febrifuge, are you feeling OK? I'm worried about you.

You went to all the trouble of warning about thread-jacking but then did follow through with the actual jacking that I now expect from you.

Oh well, we all have our off-days.

Take care,
Jeff

PS, anyone seen any Celis Pale Bock on the shelves lately?

T-9 days (not that I'm counting)

Febrifuge said:
... you should be advised, threads that start as unhelpful or not-new-questions quickly become threads about beers and In N' Out Burger. It's nothing personal, just a cultural thing on this board.

Can someone help me out ? What is "In N' Out" - I know I must be missing something good down here in Aus ! :)

JobsFan said:
Can someone help me out ? What is "In N' Out" - I know I must be missing something good down here in Aus ! :)

It's a really good West coast burger chain.

Hercules said:
It's a really good West coast burger chain.
Really good doesn't do it justice. It is an amazing fast food joint that actually presses the fries on site minutes before they are fried, they only serve burgers, fries and drinks so everything is better due to them being able to concentrate on atleast doing those items well. OMG I miss in and out... even though I only eat there once or twice a year I miss it!!!

Members don't see this ad :)
You also forgot to mention that nothing is ever frozen (except for the shakes :D ) and always fresh. Hard to beat In n Out :thumbup: .

(did someone say something about thread jacking? :rolleyes: )

Jeff698 said:
Febrifuge, are you feeling OK? I'm worried about you.

You went to all the trouble of warning about thread-jacking but then did follow through with the actual jacking that I now expect from you.

Oh well, we all have our off-days.
Just like you can't give tickle yourself, or give yourself a nickname, you can't be the thread drift... you can only encourage it.

"Though it be madness, yet there is method in't."

This thread really should be switched to a more original subject, like "burnout".

Or "Caffrey's Ale" which is really excellent. I got hooked on it while studying abroad, and cant have it back here in Oklahoma.

sparky5 said:
Really good doesn't do it justice. It is an amazing fast food joint that actually presses the fries on site minutes before they are fried, they only serve burgers, fries and drinks so everything is better due to them being able to concentrate on atleast doing those items well. OMG I miss in and out... even though I only eat there once or twice a year I miss it!!!
I am gonna be in LA for three days in July for a conference, definately going to have to hit up In N Out... only had it once in Vegas... I'll post a thread a few weeks before so i can trust my fella SDNers with the perfect order.

Q

You can't tickle yourself? Really? But...oh wait...nevermind.

Take care,
Jeff

T-8 days (not that I'm counting)

QuinnNSU said:
I am gonna be in LA for three days in July for a conference, definately going to have to hit up In N Out... only had it once in Vegas... I'll post a thread a few weeks before so i can trust my fella SDNers with the perfect order.

Q

Double-Double animal style!

flighterdoc said:
Double-Double animal style!
I feel ya on the animal style, but I hate the mayo/spread they put on the bun so for a rode trip (the only time I eat in&out) it is:
2 double-double animal style no spread fries and a stawberry shake.. the second burger is for the rode, normally a midnight snack before I crash.

Robz said:
There is absolutly nothing wrong with beer or In-N'-Out......man I could go for both right now...

Too bad I'm on the east coast....
What, you can't find beer on the east coast? :)

Sessamoid said:
What, you can't find beer on the east coast? :)

i'm even more astonished by the guy who quotes dubya in his signature

Sessamoid--
I have PM'd you........

Mmmmm Caffrey's :) there are a few bars back in Buffalo that have it. However, I'm in Toledo.

ATC2MD said:
Mmmmm Caffrey's :) there are a few bars back in Buffalo that have it. However, I'm in Toledo.

Tell intern HH I said Hi. And Im glad someone else appreciates what a pleasant beer Caffrey's is.