USMLE Stem Length?

Discussion in 'Step I' started by dulop, Jun 18, 2008.

1. dulop

dulop Member
    5+ Year Member

Hey all,

Was wondering how UW compared to the real thing in terms of length of the questions. Time isn't ever an issue on UW for me but it def was on the MCAT at times. Just wanted to get an idea of how much time/block i'll have left over to review questions.

Thanks!

drzamzam likes this.
  2. opb

opb
    7+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    I think you're probably gonna get different answers because there is a lot of variability in the tests that people take. Personally, the question stems on my test were pretty long... comparable to UW length. Some questions were even longer (I seriously think they took up half the page). I only had about 4-5 short questions on each block.

I usually would finish with 10 minutes to spare on UW (50 question blocks), but on the real deal I usually finished with less than 2 minutes to go (after reviewing my marked questions once), even with the smaller question blocks (48 questions).

This was just my personal experience, and I'm sure others will say that their questions were shorter. I think as long as you keep practicing timed blocks on UW and finish early you'll be fine.

drzamzam likes this.
  3. BrisketAttack

2+ Year Member

Medical Student
    I mirror this sentiment exactly. exactly! longer stems on the real step!! 2-3X as long (over uworld) on average.

4. crazy_cavalier

crazy_cavalier T3-Weighted
    7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    I had one question that was 11 lines long. I counted.

It also had a diagram.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
    drzamzam likes this.
  5. doc20

5+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    there are mix of questions, like some of the above posts said there are some that are long
    and there are also some very short, like 3-4 words, the ones testing your cramming memory lol

6. BrisketAttack

2+ Year Member

Medical Student
    don't get me wrong, there are certainly some shorter questions, about on par with the average uworld question. however, if you average out the length of every question stem, i'd say they're minimally 2x longer than uworld, and probably closer to 3x. i wish this wasn't the case, but with my exam it sure was.

7. SaoTo

2+ Year Member

Medical Student
    A majority of my questions were 3-4 lines long. I did have some that were at least 10 lines (usually split in the middle with lab values).

drzamzam likes this.
  8. lilnoelle

Moderator Emeritus 7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]

This was my experience. I know there were a few long paragraphs, but they were by far the minority.

drzamzam likes this.
  9. medstylee

medstylee 1K Member
    10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    my test was actually filled with long question stems. i had very few questions with only 2 or 3 sentences. on the whole, the questions were definitely longer than the ones on UW and much much longer than the ones in the NBMEs.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
    drzamzam likes this.
  10. drcuddles

2+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    I assume it really depends per person
    luck plays a huge role
    But usually the exam is SUPPOSED to be all well balanced with short medium long and ultra long questions

#10 drcuddles, Sep 10, 2015
    Last edited: Sep 11, 2015
  11. Ophthoseidon

2+ Year Member

Medical Student
    This guy is probably out of residency by now...