USMLE Step 1: More time helpful?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

RexKD

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
How many of you would have benefited from an extra 6 months or a year of study for the USMLE 1?

Is there so much information that an extra 6 or 12 months would make a HUGE difference?

Or is it much like the SAT or LSAT that another 6 or 12 months won't effect one's score much?

Members don't see this ad.

RexKD;

With an exam of the USMLE's magnitude, I think one can quickly lose focus if given too much time to study. The proper amount of time may vary from person-to-person; however, I cannot imagine an extra 6 months would make much difference. I, personally, would forget what I learned in the beginning by the time the end of the 6 months rolled around and I took the test. May as well not have studied at all.

Again, as I noted above, every person is a little different. I don't think I'd want to prolong medical school for another year just to take a nice year-long study break, though.

If you're considering putting off the USMLE until mid third year, don't do it. I think you'll find you are much too busy with rotations to study for the USMLE and give it the attention it deserves. Again, only my $0.02

cheers...