USMLE Step 1 Pass Rate

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Lbgem

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Leorl or any of you that are going to/have gone to the Irish med schools - do you happen to know roughly what the USMLE Step 1 pass rate is for your school?

The reason I'm asking is b/c I just received an email stating a new regulation is being implemented by the US Dept of Education where 75% of ALL USMLE test takers must pass for the school to continue to receive US funding. This includes non US citizens/etc. It used to be 75% over all three steps, but now it's for each part. If the school doesn't pass for that year, the US student will only receive one more year of US funding.

Members don't see this ad.

yup, that rule applies for RCSI anyway so we have to do a pre-test to ensure we are able for Step I - we have a near perfect pass-rate as far as I know but the Dean's Office at each school would probably tell you the rates if you emailed.
Our matching was excellent last year too :) which is good news for the North Americans.

Hi,

I got that letter too and it was mildly concerning. doc2be (or any other current RCSI students), do you know if RCSI has classes or has access to qbank or does anything to help/support one to prepare for the USMLE or is it mostly student initiated/ directed? Thanks.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
yup, that rule applies for RCSI anyway so we have to do a pre-test to ensure we are able for Step I - we have a near perfect pass-rate as far as I know but the Dean's Office at each school would probably tell you the rates if you emailed.
Our matching was excellent last year too :) which is good news for the North Americans.

As an incomming rcsi gep student, im glad to hear this.

Hi,

I got that letter too and it was mildly concerning. doc2be (or any other current RCSI students), do you know if RCSI has classes or has access to qbank or does anything to help/support one to prepare for the USMLE or is it mostly student initiated/ directed? Thanks.

yep, our Vice-Dean is the USMLE Goddess and makes sure everyone is super-prepared, there are all sorts of extra classes and resources and every week it seems there is some sort of seminar on for US or Canadian students so worry not! I will be sitting it next summer with the North Americans but yeah we are well looked after in that regard.