USMLE Step 1 redesigned

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

polofanPKP

Fear the Vest
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey all, I hope this is the right place to post this question. I'm an MS1 and I just returned from the AMA meeting in Honolulu. While I was there I caught the end of a presentation about restructuring of the USMLE from its present form into a single licensing test. The presentation also stated that this is nothing new and that it is possible that the class of 2011 (my class) may not take the present boards following 2nd year. I unfortunately wasn't able to catch the earlier part of the presentation and was hoping that someone here knew anything about this change. Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

2011 is waaaaaay to early from everything I've heard. Do you think the presentation might have meant the class ENTERING med school in 2011, not completing it?

Yes, they are *possibly* looking to re-structure/format/design/etc. how/what the USMLE functions/tests:

Basically, they formed a committee a couple years ago to undertake a massive review of the effectiveness of the current USMLE content/structure to see whether or not anything needs to be changed. During this review process, one of the themes emerged was the gap between the basic-science Step 1 and the more clinically-oriented Step 2/3. So a possible "elimination" of the Step 1 could happen. It is not surprising that the committee is soliciting input from various avenues, including medical professional conferences such as that hosted by the AMA, etc.

If you really want a rough time estimate:
Although it is difficult to predict subsequent time lines prior to receiving the final recommendations, major changes to USMLE design and structure will likely take a minimum of two years, after spring 2009 approval, to implement.

This was posted on the USMLE.org website on August 15, 2007:

The United States Medical Licensing Examination (USMLE) program provides a single pathway for primary licensure of all graduates of LCME-accredited medical schools in the United States and Canada, and all international medical graduates seeking post graduate training and licensure in the United States. The USMLE is open to graduates of accredited osteopathic medical schools, although graduates of these schools may also meet state licensure requirements by completion of the three components of the osteopathic licensure examination program. For candidates who meet all educational requirements for licensure, successful completion of the three Steps of USMLE certifies that the individual has the minimum knowledge and clinical skills for the unsupervised, general practice of medicine

The principal mission of the USMLE is to provide state licensure boards with the valid and reliable independent assessments needed to support their responsibilities for granting the primary license to practice medicine. The USMLE also has important secondary uses. Undergraduate medical schools use USMLE results for curriculum assessment, promotion, and graduation decisions. USMLE results are considered by residency program directors during the residency selection process. International graduates must pass Step 1, Step2 CK, and Step 2 CS of the USMLE for ECFMG certification.

Since its inception in the early 1990s, USMLE has evolved. The initial paper-and-pencil multiple-choice examinations moved to computer-based administration in 1999, and computer-based case simulations were added. In 2004, the Step 2 Clinical Skills examination became part of USMLE. In addition, throughout the history of USMLE, content outlines and test content of each Step examination have continuously changed, to keep pace with the evolution of medical practice and education. Nevertheless, since it was first designed nearly two decades ago, there has been no in-depth review of the entire USMLE program to ensure that the overall design, structure, and format of USMLE is effectively meeting the needs of primary and secondary users. In January 2004, the Composite Committee that governs the USMLE requested the NBME, FSMB, and ECFMG to develop a process to undertake such a review. This project is called the Comprehensive Review of USMLE (CRU).

This primary responsibility for this review was given to the Committee to Evaluate the USMLE Program (CEUP), which includes members who bring the perspective of students, residents, fellows, Deans and Associate Deans, basic science and clinical faculty, international medical graduates, state medical boards, practicing physicians, and the public to this process. Some, but not all members of the committee have had previous experience in the USMLE program as item writers, reviewers, or test committee members.

To inform CEUP, staff members have used surveys and focus groups to gather information about the impact and relevance of the USMLE program from a wide range of individuals and organizations, including a broad sampling of representatives from the medical licensing authorities and from the US undergraduate and graduate education communities. Input has also been sought from institutional and national leaders from the international medical education community. Recent USMLE examinees, both US-trained and internationally-trained, have been surveyed, as have leaders of local and national student groups.

Progress to Date

CEUP began its work in late 2006. Early in this process, the group developed a framework of general principles to guide their deliberations:

1) the first priority is to assure medical licensing authorities that a licensure candidate possesses the knowledge and skills for safe and effective patient care in both the supervised and unsupervised practice settings;

2) the USMLE has other stakeholders, and reasonable secondary uses of the USMLE results should be supported as long as they do not compromise the primary purpose of the USMLE;

3) for all uses, the assessment instruments used in the USMLE should be valid and reliable measures of the competencies required for medical practice; and

4) as one element of the licensure process, the USMLE must continue to reflect the evolving national consensus of competency.

Although CEUP has not yet issued its final recommendations (see time line below), there are several themes that have emerged from information gathering from stakeholders and from CEUP discussions; these are issues that are likely to impact the committee's recommendations. CEUP recognizes that changes to the USMLE program can have a major impact on stakeholders and, therefore, it has encouraged the frequent dissemination and discussion of these emerging themes within the stakeholder community. Major themes emerging in this process thus far include the following:

1. There is a strong sense that the licensure examination program should be more explicitly designed to support decisions at two points. The first of these is a decision about readiness to begin provision of direct patient care under supervision, at the interface between undergraduate and graduate medical education. The second decision relates to readiness for a physician to provide unsupervised patient care and to obtain a license to enter into unrestricted practice.

2. At the time they enter post graduate training, doctors must have minimum competency in basic clinical knowledge and the skills necessary to safely care for patients. A higher level of these competencies, together with other competencies acquired during graduate medical education, is necessary at the time of primary licensure. To the extent that these competencies can be measured in a valid, reliable, and practical manner, they should be incorporated in the USMLE.

3. From both a licensing and an educational perspective, the separate design and administration of an examination of the basic sciences seems to create an artificial separation of basic and clinical sciences. This was a sentiment frequently expressed by stakeholders, including faculty members from both the basic sciences and clinical sciences. The weight of opinion gathered to date favors the integration of basic science and clinical science concepts throughout all examination components rather than the current segregation of basic science content in Step 1.

4. The current Step 1 component of the USMLE is used by many medical schools to support promotion or graduation decisions. If the USMLE is redesigned in a manner that eliminates Step 1 in its current form, then NBME should be prepared to provide similar valid, reliable, and secure assessment tools to schools that still wish to use them.

5. There are conflicting opinions on the value of numeric versus pass/fail reporting for both the primary and secondary uses of USMLE. It is likely that this issue will not be resolved until the final recommendations of CEUP are made and the implications of those recommendations fully examined.

Timeline

CEUP has not yet completed its deliberations. It is scheduled to deliver its final recommendations by January 2008. During the remainder of 2008, USMLE committees and staff will identify the implications and feasibility of the recommended changes and the USMLE Composite Committee will make final recommendations to the USMLE parent organizations. The governance bodies of ECFMG, FSMB, and NBME will all have opportunity to review the recommendations in detail. Any major changes to the structure of USMLE require the approval of the FSMB House of Delegates and the NBME membership. The earliest that this full governance review will occur is in the spring 2009. Although it is difficult to predict subsequent time lines prior to receiving the final recommendations, major changes to USMLE design and structure will likely take a minimum of two years, after spring 2009 approval, to implement.

http://www.usmle.org/General_Information/review.html

Members don't see this ad :)
One of our Dean's just stated today (a synopsis)
----------
The unofficial word is that the USMLE Step 1 will be going away as it currently exists. As early as the incomming class of 2009 may be taking an exam at the end of their fourth year that consists of the material that was on the step 1 and the step 2 ck. It is presently unclear if this exam would affect residency application.
-----------
Our school will still have a test in place of the step I that will not be required for licensure, but will be required for advancement at our medical school.

How the heck will residency programs distinguish applicants for these future med school class'?

One of our Dean's just stated today (a synopsis)
----------
The unofficial word is that the USMLE Step 1 will be going away as it currently exists. As early as the incomming class of 2009 may be taking an exam at the end of their fourth year that consists of the material that was on the step 1 and the step 2 ck. It is presently unclear if this exam would affect residency application.
-----------
Our school will still have a test in place of the step I that will not be required for licensure, but will be required for advancement at our medical school.

How the heck will residency programs distinguish applicants for these future med school class'?

Read Nist7's post and link above. There is no "unofficial word" to be had. This simply hasn't been passed by the applicable board and the applicable committee is just going to start deliberations in the upcoming January, and at best they contemplate passing (assuming it isn't hotly debated, which it may be) something by 2009. So any dean claiming an inside scoop is just speculaing, because nobody knows how such a vote will even go. So there is no, I repeat no, realistic way that the class of 2009 will be affected by something that will at best be passed at about the time they will be graduating. And since these exams take time to prepare and things take a ton of time to ramp up, it probably won't affect the classes of 2010, 2011, or 2012 either. If it even happens. Which it very well might not.

Read Nist7's post and link above. There is no "unofficial word" to be had. This simply hasn't been passed by the applicable board and the applicable committee is just going to start deliberations in the upcoming January, and at best they contemplate passing (assuming it isn't hotly debated, which it may be) something by 2009. So any dean claiming an inside scoop is just speculaing, because nobody knows how such a vote will even go. So there is no, I repeat no, realistic way that the class of 2009 will be affected by something that will at best be passed at about the time they will be graduating. And since these exams take time to prepare and things take a ton of time to ramp up, it probably won't affect the classes of 2010, 2011, or 2012 either. If it even happens. Which it very well might not.

The incoming class of 2009 is what he told us...This would be the "class of 2013". My bad for not distinguishing that. Also, the academic dean of a major state institution probably has a very good feel on whether or not these types of MAJOR changes will occur. There is most certainly an unofficial word. He speaks with dean's from other medical schools, etc. and draws a conclusing from this relatively close knit fraternity ...hence the phrase "unofficial word". Something undoubtedly leaked out of the woodworks if another student at a medical school heard the same thing from their dean on the same day.

Nevertheless, let's assume it does pass. How will residency programs react??? This will undoubtedly have a massive effect on how this whole system pans out.

Also, the academic dean of a major state institution probably has a very good feel on whether or not these types of MAJOR changes will occur. There is most certainly an unofficial word. He speaks with dean's from other medical schools, etc. and draws a conclusing from this relatively close knit fraternity ...hence the phrase "unofficial word". Something undoubtedly leaked out of the woodworks if another student at a medical school heard the same thing from their dean on the same day.

Nevertheless, let's assume it does pass. How will residency programs react??? This will undoubtedly have a massive effect on how this whole system pans out.

I disagree that there is a credible word of mouth "unofficial word" out there for something that has yet to be discussed in an upcoming winter committee meeting (a committee made up of more than just med school deans BTW) of the NBME/CEUP, any more than there is an unofficial word as to who will win the upcoming presidential election. Too many members of the jury have yet to weigh in. This is just your (and perhaps other) dean's speculation. Folks have been chiming in about unofficial words (and even supposedly official words) on SDN for close to a year now and the meeting is still months off. Till it get discussed its not even clear what the proposal is ultimately going to look like (these things get seriously revamped and marked up once the committee starts working through it), let alone whether it will pass. Any existing version your dean may have seen will bear little resemblance to what ultimately comes out of a committee debate and mark-up session.

But assuming something along these lines does pass, we are talking about needing objective data for residency directors to use in the absence of Step 1. So they presumably will want to look more heavilly at the basic science year grades (which previously were largely ignored because of the existence of Step 1). But this presents logistical nightmares for the true P/F schools, the fact that there are a dozen different grading regimes out there, the fact that offshore folks may not have adequately similar transcripts (but were able to get around this with a Step 1 score). So it is going to be a fiasco. And one that will require many years to figure out. So I seriously doubt we are talking about a workable system by even the class of 2013. Until the backup system is in place they simply cannot remove the step 1 lynch pin. And they won't. So these changes will occur long after everyone currently on SDN has finished up school.

I disagree that there is a credible word of mouth "unofficial word" out there for something that has yet to be discussed in an upcoming winter committee meeting (a committee made up of more than just med school deans BTW) of the NBME/CEUP, any more than there is an unofficial word as to who will win the upcoming presidential election. Too many members of the jury have yet to weigh in. This is just your (and perhaps other) dean's speculation. Folks have been chiming in about unofficial words (and even supposedly official words) on SDN for close to a year now and the meeting is still months off. Till it get discussed its not even clear what the proposal is ultimately going to look like (these things get seriously revamped and marked up once the committee starts working through it), let alone whether it will pass. Any existing version your dean may have seen will bear little resemblance to what ultimately comes out of a committee debate and mark-up session.

But assuming something along these lines does pass, we are talking about needing objective data for residency directors to use in the absence of Step 1. So they presumably will want to look more heavilly at the basic science year grades (which previously were largely ignored because of the existence of Step 1). But this presents logistical nightmares for the true P/F schools, the fact that there are a dozen different grading regimes out there, the fact that offshore folks may not have adequately similar transcripts (but were able to get around this with a Step 1 score). So it is going to be a fiasco. And one that will require many years to figure out. So I seriously doubt we are talking about a workable system by even the class of 2013. Until the backup system is in place they simply cannot remove the step 1 lynch pin. And they won't. So these changes will occur long after everyone currently on SDN has finished up school.

Could be Dean gossip for all I know...don't really care THAT much as it will have no affect on me whatsoever. Bickering over it doesn't do much good either.

I haven't taken the Step I yet, but I feel that disbanding a truly objective tool to parse out residency applicants is a terrible idea. It's a bad idea for the reasons you stated and several others. I guess they would end up looking at class rank and subjective assessment of the quality of the instiution the prospective appicant went to. I don't know...just seems like a bad idea. It would be like getting rid of the MCAT... but it just seems worse.

It will be very bad for DO students if such a change is implemented. Currently, the USMLE step 1 is their singular chance to prove beyond doubt to residency directors that they are well educated and on the level of MD applicants. Without the step 1, residency directors will likely have to default to grades, class rank, school reputation/prestige, and place a heavier emphasis on research, interview, EC's and leadership in med school, etc., and [gasp] possibly even MCAT and/or undergraduate grades. Very very bad for DO's, because the default will be MD prestige >> DO prestige, and thus that filter will color all grades, class rank, etc. as essentially starting where the MD applicant pool ends.

As a residency director, it seems clear to me what will happen should the USMLE reformat it's exam.

1. The USMLE/NBME lists as one of it's core precepts that medical schools still want an exam at the end of 2nd year for promotion. Although that exam will be outside the USMLE licensing process, you can bet that most schools will use it and then report it in the Dean's letter. So, for those of you horrified that Step 1 might disappear, it's probably just going to change it's name.

2. The "Ready for GME" new USMLE step proposed seems designed for the 4th year student. You can bet that all residency programs will require that you have a score reported prior to ranking, and the competitive programs will require scores for application. Hopefully, the USMLE will see this and make sure that there is capacity to allow all 4th year students to take the exam in July-October. If not, prepare for a horrible game of musical chairs (for exam slots).

From a PD perspective, this is not a big disaster (again, assuming that there is capacity for all fourth year students to take the exam early in the fourth year). DO's and IMG's will still be able to take this exam -- unclear if they will be able to take the exam available for allopathic grads at the end of the second year which could be a problem, but probably not with a solid "New USMLE" score.

Let's not forget that it will presumably save everyone an exam fee, unless they decide to charge twice as much for the new and improved exam. :laugh:

unless they decide to charge twice as much for the new and improved exam. :laugh:

Of course they will. Possibly even more than twice as much, since students will have more time to save up for it. These fees are a big money maker for the NBME and so you can bet they aren't going to eliminate their boon.

My understanding is that the NBME is upset that the current state of the board exams is that they are being used to distinguish between candidates for residency, particularly in the more competitive fields, when this was never the intent of the exam. Because of this they are considering (and will likely pass according to people at the AMA meeting) a resolution that would eliminate the step I exam and combine it with the step II CK exam and administer it during the 4th year of medical school to have a combination of basic and clinical sciences tested just before entering GME.

Step II CS and Step III would remain as they are.

The only issues that are really going to be deliberated in January are:

1) Should the new combined exam be administered after the majority of people have applied to residency or should it be before so that residency programs know that they have passed (doesn't really eliminate the scrutiny based on score issue)

2) Should the exam be pass/fail (to eliminate the scrutiny based on board score issue)

Members don't see this ad :)
What would be the proposed method for comparing students for residency positions if Step 1 is eliminated then? Seems like a uniform test is really the only way to standardize all potential applicants. (Many schools also have P/F curriculum)

My understanding is that the NBME is upset that the current state of the board exams is that they are being used to distinguish between candidates for residency, particularly in the more competitive fields, when this was never the intent of the exam. Because of this they are considering (and will likely pass according to people at the AMA meeting) a resolution that would eliminate the step I exam and combine it with the step II CK exam and administer it during the 4th year of medical school to have a combination of basic and clinical sciences tested just before entering GME.

Step II CS and Step III would remain as they are.

1) Should the new combined exam be administered after the majority of people have applied to residency or should it be before so that residency programs know that they have passed (doesn't really eliminate the scrutiny based on score issue)

2) Should the exam be pass/fail (to eliminate the scrutiny based on board score issue)

Of course they will. Possibly even more than twice as much, since students will have more time to save up for it. These fees are a big money maker for the NBME and so you can bet they aren't going to eliminate their boon.

It must be nice to fund your budget for the entire fiscal year based on "services" that are utilized only 3 times in a 5 year period by your "customers"

I don't think this is the way they are going to deliberate. A subcommittee is going to present an initial proposal, which from what I've seen will relate to somehow combining Steps 1 and 2 to a larger, all encompassing, (more expensive) exam to be taken in 4th year after completion of the core rotations. Then debates will ensue. Discussion will not be limited to the two points you suggested. And actually, none of the "rumors" that have been on SDN thus far have suggested your latter suggestion, which I actually would think presents the same problems as having no exam at all (i.e. you get back to residencies basing decisions purely on course grades/rank and non-US-allo schools have a difficult (if not impossible) time showing how they compare).

Of course if the goal is to close residency doors to all but a few foreign and DO schools to which residency directors are already familiar, this might be a seemingly innocuous way to do it. If there are no equivalent board scores it is much easier to say the basic science schooling wasn't equivalent. Similar to the way the LCME is increasing US allo med school class number but how residency slots are seemingly not going to keep pace, which appears to put offshore educated slots in jeopardy. If someone was really sneaky these moves would be an interesting way to squeeze out more of the competition. I'm just saying...

And actually, none of the "rumors" that have been on SDN thus far have suggested your latter suggestion

You don't need SDN rumors for this. Main Talking Point #5 from the USMLE itself:

5. There are conflicting opinions on the value of numeric versus pass/fail reporting for both the primary and secondary uses of USMLE. It is likely that this issue will not be resolved until the final recommendations of CEUP are made and the implications of those recommendations fully examined.

The core issue at stake is whether the USMLE is a licensing exam or a national metric for "medical competency" to be used to determine who gets the "best" spots.

As an academic discussion it's actually an interesting point because most tests do not have good discriminating power throughout their score spectrum. Put another way, most tests are not accurate "at the extremes", and so you need to choose a focus of the exam: separate the competent from the incompetent, or separate the superstars from the rest of the pack. You usually can't do both. If you believe that the USMLE is truly just to be used for licensing, then it is completely reasonable to make it pass/fail -- either you are licensed, or not.

The really interesting question is what happens if the USMLE actually goes pass/fail or if they purposly schedule people later than the match deadline, what happens next? I see several outcomes:

1. Residencies use other metrics to decide. I agree this will put pressure on med schools to do away with P/F courses, etc.
2. The NBME seems committed to giving medical schools an exam at the end of second year, outside of the USMLE. This would be similar to the NBME shelf exams. Residencies may demand release of these scores instead.
3. Any entrepneurs out there? If the USMLE becomes "void" for residency decisions, another national exam would be helpful. I could imagine each specialty wanting their own exam.

I could imagine each specialty wanting their own exam.

LOL -- then you might end up having to take 5-6 exams by the end of 3rd year rather than just Step 1 after second, because you probably won't necessarilly know what you are most interested in yet or really what you actually end up doing well in without taking multiple tests. And expect nice hefty fees for each. Spend a couple of grand, study for several months for multiple tests instead of one. Sounds like quite a dream you've got there. :D

LOL -- then you might end up having to take 5-6 exams by the end of 3rd year rather than just Step 1 after second, because you probably won't necessarilly know what you are most interested in yet or really what you actually end up doing well in without taking multiple tests. And expect nice hefty fees for each. Spend a couple of grand, study for several months for multiple tests instead of one. Sounds like quite a dream you've got there. :D

Well if each specialty wanted their own exam, couldn't the scores from the clinical shelf exams be used.

Well if each specialty wanted their own exam, couldn't the scores from the clinical shelf exams be used.

Perhaps, except that you don't necessarilly get beyond the core specialties by the time you need to apply. So you'd still need to study for and take a separate test or two before applying to keep unrepresented specialty doors open.

I don't think this is the way they are going to deliberate. A subcommittee is going to present an initial proposal, which from what I've seen will relate to somehow combining Steps 1 and 2 to a larger, all encompassing, (more expensive) exam to be taken in 4th year after completion of the core rotations. Then debates will ensue. Discussion will not be limited to the two points you suggested. And actually, none of the "rumors" that have been on SDN thus far have suggested your latter suggestion, which I actually would think presents the same problems as having no exam at all (i.e. you get back to residencies basing decisions purely on course grades/rank and non-US-allo schools have a difficult (if not impossible) time showing how they compare).

Of course if the goal is to close residency doors to all but a few foreign and DO schools to which residency directors are already familiar, this might be a seemingly innocuous way to do it. If there are no equivalent board scores it is much easier to say the basic science schooling wasn't equivalent. Similar to the way the LCME is increasing US allo med school class number but how residency slots are seemingly not going to keep pace, which appears to put offshore educated slots in jeopardy. If someone was really sneaky these moves would be an interesting way to squeeze out more of the competition. I'm just saying...

The pass/fail question you brought was addressed with an AAMC quote above, but also I think your perception of the purpose of the step exams speaks to the diffuse misunderstanding that has perpetuated throughout the medical establishment. The NBME does not care at all about how students are distinguished for residencies. In fact they are actually upset that the number score is used to distinguish between applicants given that this is not the intent.

The professor who is designing our future medical school curriculum mentioned that when they meet in january they will be addressing the two issues I mentioned. My school is actually moving forward with the assumption that the step I and IIck exams will be combined in probably the next 4-7 years (there are logistics to work out). The only issue that remains will be pass/fail. Maybe this is a bad move, but the guy knows what he's doing and has been doing it for a while. We'll see what happens (it won't affect me anyway).

It will be very bad for DO students if such a change is implemented. Currently, the USMLE step 1 is their singular chance to prove beyond doubt to residency directors that they are well educated and on the level of MD applicants.

Every year we present with great apps and 240+ USMLEs, and if you look at the total number of DOs in some of the very competitive specialties its in the single digits, or zero. So clearly there is still some "doubt."

As for the logistics. If step 1 and 2 are combined, scheduling the hybrid between july-october as a mad dash before residency apps does become problematic for DO candidates. In the osteopathic world, the majority (almost totality) of very competitive specialties do not give you an interview (or serious consideration) without a showcase rotation. DO applicants hence try to do as many as possible during the late summer - early fall months to maximize their chances. Taking a month hiatus for an optional exam will be hard to justify. We do have the COMLEX level 1, which is expected to still be around for DOs, but it is not scored like the USMLE. Almost no one gets a 99 on the COMLEX, and that can be confusing to those accustomed to seeing it so frequently on the USMLE.

Call me optimistic, but I think something better will be the result of this. And if not, well, we're an imaginative bunch aren't we?

Call me optimistic, but I think something better will be the result of this.

Nobody has really suggested how this will be an improvement, just a way to deemphasize Step 1 in the process. But I do agree that many of the people who say they "know" what is going to be decided and implemented after a meeting that hasn't happened yet, a vote that hasn't happened yet and a proposal that hasn't even been made yet and probably contemplates 4-5 years of changes to curriculum and residency decisions, are likely to be wrong. Might as well celebrate our next president while you are at it -- there are similar numbers of unknown variables at play. I say we sit tight till January and see what IF ANYTHING actually comes out of these meetings. My bet is that if anything comes out of this meeting besides the need for another meeting (which is most likely IMHO), it will have no impact on anyone on SDN who is not currently in high school.

New June 10th 2008 information.

"The Composite Committee’s actions mark the beginning of a new phase, during which staff will create possible models for a potential redesign of the USMLE within the framework recommended by the CEUP. We emphasize that the process will be evolutionary, continually seeking feedback and building on the insights we gain from many stakeholders. We anticipate that the entire process will take a minimum of four years – and quite possibly longer before it will impact any test-takers. "

http://www.usmle.org/General_Information/review.html