USMLE/COMLEX USMLE Step 1 Resources

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

LWW Publishers

Test Prep Exhibitor
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
This thread is for questions and discussion related to resources for USMLE Step 1. In this thread,LWW will be raffling off one copy of USMLE Step 1 Recall, Buzzwords for the Boards, 3e. Winners for each raffle will be drawn from among the members who post questions about the product(s) or otherwise meaningfully contribute to the discussion.

Check-out LWW's free, 350-question, comprehensive USMLE practice test. Take test now!

Comprehensive Step 1 Reviews:

Step-Up to USMLE Step 1, 3E
Addresses the format of the USMLE Step 1 by incorporating a systems-based orientation, clinical integration of content, and expanded clinical cases. Includes material in bulleted, “high-yield” form, comprehensive illustrations and tables, clinical case studies, and “Quick Hits” in the margin.

Step-Up to the Bedside, 2E
Compilation of 100 clinically-oriented cases, provide basic science coverage of relevant material that is frequently tested on USMLE Step 1. Lavishly illustrated, the cases are also interspersed with “Quick Hits” or brief bullets that provide additional information.

USMLE Step 1 Recall, Buzzwords for the Boards, 3E Includes access to 2e audio files!
Rapid fire question-and-answer format helps students memorize the facts that are most often tested on the USMLE. Audio component is a great review when you are on the go!

NMS Review for USMLE Step 1, 7E
850 questions divided into 17 tests of 50 questions each. Clinically oriented illustrations are included, such as MRIs and CTs, and approximately 80 color plates.

High-Yield Comprehensive USMLE Step 1 Review
Ultra-quick review with tabular format; size of a high-yield book.

Review Series/Individual Subject Reviews

Underground Clinical Vignettes (UCV)
Presents patient cases designed specifically to prepare students for clinical vignette questions on the USMLE Step 1. Each case proceeds from chief complaint through diagnostic workup and treatment and includes buzzwords in history taking, physical examination, laboratory tests, imaging, and pathology. Purchase the UCV bundle for extra savings and access to an online question bank!

Board Review Series (BRS)
A must-have review for medical students, especially for more difficult and heavily-tested subjects, BRS titles offer concise outline format, key words and concepts bolded, USMLE-format review questions at the end of each chapter, comprehensive examination at the end of each book. Flash cards sets are also available for some topics.

Cases & Concepts Step 1
This two-volume series helps medical students prepare for USMLE Step 1 by combining basic science topics with clinical data. Cases are followed up with USMLE-style questions with answers and rationales. Includes Basic Science Review and Pathophysiology Review.

High-Yield Series
Extracts only the most important information on each topic and presents material in a concise, uncluttered fashion. High-Yield titles function as great, last-minute USMLE prep.

High-Yield Systems Series
Each volume integrates topics across an organ system. Helps you integrate your basic science study and prepare for USMLE Step 1. Purchase individually, or buy the money-saving bundle that includes all 4 volumes.

Lippincott’s Illustrated Reviews (LIR)
Offers a comprehensive, highly visual review in an easy-to-use outline format. USMLE-type questions and detailed explanations included with each chapter. Topics include: Biochemistry, Pharmacology, Microbiology, and Immunology.

Recall Series
Facilitates rapid review and memorization of key concepts using a concise, two-column question-and-answer format. Enables quick study prior to exams or rounds. Bookmark included with each book to aid in self-testing.

MedMaps for Pathophysiology
An excellent rapid review USMLE Step 1; contains 102 concept maps of disease processes and mechanisms. The book is organized by organ system and includes classic diseases such as hypertension, diabetes, and congestive heart failure, as well as complex diseases such as lupus and HIV.

Flashcards

Clinical Anatomy Flash Cards

Clinically relevant anatomy flash card set based on Moore’s Clinically Oriented Anatomy and Grant's Atlas of Anatomy. The card set is a convenient, portable and practical review tool for USMLE Step 1 preparation.

Clemente's Anatomy Flash Cards
Regionally organized, full-color flash card set based on Clemente's Anatomy: A Regional Atlas of the Human Body, Fifth Edition. With Clemente's vibrantly colored images, this convenient, portable card set is a flexible, practical study and review tool for USMLE Step 1 preparation.

Rohen's Photographic Anatomy Flash Cards
Based on the images in Color Atlas of Anatomy: A Photographic Study of the Human Body, Sixth Edition, this is the only gross anatomy flash card set that includes full-color photographs of actual cadaver dissections.

MicroCards, 2E

PharmCards, 3E

PathCards

Members don't see this ad.

Earlier this year I won a set of Underground Clinic Vignettes. Best study tools I've ever had! They really integrate the info you're learning in your classes and apply it to real clinical vignettes. I use them whenever reading the typical dry study materials gets old. They're interesting but still exactly what I need to be studying.

I will definitely be buying a set of the Step 2 undeground clinical vignettes when I start my rotations.

Haven't taken my boards yet but I imagine the step 1 clinical vignettes are really handy for that. The boards ARE clinical vignettes. What could be better to study!?!

Would you recommend any of these products for things other than Step 1, so one of your pre-clinical classes? If so, which ones?

Members don't see this ad :)
Earlier this year I won a set of Underground Clinic Vignettes. Best study tools I've ever had! They really integrate the info you're learning in your classes and apply it to real clinical vignettes. I use them whenever reading the typical dry study materials gets old. They're interesting but still exactly what I need to be studying.

I will definitely be buying a set of the Step 2 undeground clinical vignettes when I start my rotations.

Haven't taken my boards yet but I imagine the step 1 clinical vignettes are really handy for that. The boards ARE clinical vignettes. What could be better to study!?!

the flashcards are a great way to review for anatomy when you have a few minutes here or there.

Would you recommend any of these products for things other than Step 1, so one of your pre-clinical classes? If so, which ones?

Hi and thanks for the post. Any of the Step 1 reviews also make great reviews for course exams, in conjunction with your required textbook. BRS titles work particularly well for this purpose.

We've also heard it recommended many times that you should obtain Step-Up early in your basic science training and refer to it frequently as you do your coursework, making your own notes and annotations in it. Then when it comes time for your intensive Step 1 prep, you will have a review you are already familiar with to pull all the high-yield information together in a systems-based format.

How does the "buzzwords" approach work?

Is it a vignettes approach or more of a associate X in the vignette with Y disease/condition?

Thanks.

(I guess I'm asking for an example)

USMLE Step 1 Recall: Buzzwords for the Boards uses a rapid-fire question-and-answer approach. It's organized in two columns with the question on the left and the answer on the right.

Here is an example from Chapter 7: Pathology.

Q: What disorder presents with joint stiffness that worsens with repetitive motion, crepitus, effusions, and swelling, and commonly affects the knees, hips, and spine?

A: Osteoarthritis

Here is another example from Chapter 6: Pharmacology.

Q: Craniofacial abnormalities and spina bifida are teratogenic effects of which anticonvulsant?

A: Carbamazepine

For further examples, you can use the Search Inside the Book feature on LWW.com at http://www.lww.com/product/?978-0-7817-7070-5.

Last edited:
This resource sounds pretty good. I am not too familiar with buzzwords and how they work, but if this helps with the studying, I am totally up for it.

Thank you.

I have an older version of buzzwords that includes internet audio access - I have yet to try it but think it would be amazing! Can the audio files be downloaded to cd or ipod or just computer listening?
Thanks!

Any of the Step 1 reviews also make great reviews for course exams, in conjunction with your required textbook. BRS titles work particularly well for this purpose.

Word. I used Chung's BRS Anatomy in my undergraduate advanced cadaver dissection class. The bullet-point format is helpful, quick, and high-yield once you already have a some backgound with the subject matter. The clinical correlates keep it interesting. It also gives you some popular mnemonics for those common things that you will have to memorize.

Most people at my school (next year at least) will tell you all they used for gross anatomy was their class syllabus, a good atlas (or 2), and Chung. Everyone recommends BRS physiology for exam reviews as well.

what are the differences between the two types of anatomy flashcards? would one be better for certain situations?

underground clinical vignettes make learning and remembering pathphysiology and treatment simple and easy to learn.

Members don't see this ad :)
I have an older version of buzzwords that includes internet audio access - I have yet to try it but think it would be amazing! Can the audio files be downloaded to cd or ipod or just computer listening?
Thanks!

I hope you try out the audio! The files are MP3 and can be downloaded to an iPod or any MP3 player.

How long is the audio? I commute to school so listening while driving would be awesome.

I'm interested in hearing about the content and set-up of this audio? Is it question/answer based or more like a lecture?

USMLE Step 1 Recall: Buzzwords for the Boards uses a rapid-fire question-and-answer approach. It's organized in two columns with the question on the left and the answer on the right.

Here is an example from Chapter 7: Pathology.

Q: What disorder presents with joint stiffness that worsens with repetitive motion, crepitus, effusions, and swelling, and commonly affects the knees, hips, and spine?

A: Osteoarthritis

Here is another example from Chapter 6: Pharmacology.

Q: Craniofacial abnormalities and spina bifida are teratogenic effects of which anticonvulsant?

A: Carbamazepine

For further examples, you can use the Search Inside the Book feature on LWW.com at http://www.lww.com/product/?978-0-7817-7070-5.

thanks, that's exactly what I was looking for.

what are the differences between the two types of anatomy flashcards? would one be better for certain situations?

Hi yellowumbrella,

We offer a few types of flash cards for anatomy review. All our good resources for testing your anatomical knowledge, preparing for exams/boards, and even reviewing anatomy during clerkships. Each flash card product is based on popular LWW texts/atlases.

1.) Rohen's Photographic Anatomy Flash Cards

2.) Clinical Anatomy Flash Cards

3.) Clemente's Anatomy Flash Cards

Rohen's are unique in that they are the only flash card set on the derived from photographs of actual cadaver dissections. These are based on and cross-referenced to Color Atlas of Anatomy by Rohen. The photographs realistically depict anatomic structures as seen on the cadaver, allowing you to prepare for lab dissections and study for practical laboratory exams. On the front of each card is an image with key structures labeled. On the back of each card are hints to help identify the structure and relevant clinical pearls.

The Clinical Anatomy flash cards are based on the concepts and full-color images in Moore: Clinically Oriented Anatomy and Grant's Atlas of Anatomy. Organized and color-coded using the regional approach of Clinically Oriented Anatomy, the cards feature clinically relevant descriptions of structures, concise versions of Moore's popular clinical "Blue Boxes" and correlating images. Realistic anatomic renderings from Grant's Atlas complement this clinically oriented material.

Clemente's Flash Cards are based on the colorful images in Clemente's Anatomy: A Regional Atlas of the Human Body. The images have labels designed for self-testing, with numbers on the front of the card and answers on the back. Tables on the back of the cards provide additional crucial information about bones, muscles, nerves, arteries, veins, ligaments, topographic features, lymphatics, and organs.

Hope this helps! Thanks!
LWW

Hi, what exactly is in the audio component to buzzwords and how does it differ from the book? Thanks!

Hi, what exactly is in the audio component to buzzwords and how does it differ from the book? Thanks!

The buzzwords audio is all the Q&A material from the book narrated into MP3 files, except for any illustrative material.

There is an audio-only version of the 2nd edition available, and a package with the 3rd edition book and full 2nd edition audio included.

Check out sample files on our audio site http://thepoint.lww.com/audio

or the LWW Facebook page

http://www.facebook.com/home.php?#/pages/Lippincott-Williams-Wilkins/21325425531

http://thepoint.lww.com/audio

Can the audio be converted over for mp3 use? I have a Zune, and am looking for some files that I could put on there to use during a workout or a long drive. I'm having a hard time finding audio that is compatible with the Zune.

If you purchase the audio only version, can you save it to your computer? If I could do that I may be able to convert it so that I can save it to my Zune. I'm simply not an iPod compatible person....

Can the audio be converted over for mp3 use? I have a Zune, and am looking for some files that I could put on there to use during a workout or a long drive. I'm having a hard time finding audio that is compatible with the Zune.

If you purchase the audio only version, can you save it to your computer? If I could do that I may be able to convert it so that I can save it to my Zune. I'm simply not an iPod compatible person....

The files are MP3 files, so they should work fine in your Zune.

Thanks,
LWW

Is the audio strictly a read-out of the information in the book or does it have extra information?

Hi!

Is there any sort of online access with the books? Do you have a program to download the questions onto a palm device?

Thanks!

Buzzwords sounds like a really cool book. How many questions/answers are in the book? Sorry if you already answered that, but I didn't see it.

How is the Cases and Concepts series formatted? Is it a long case with some questions after it, or is it shorter board style cases with a question or two following? How does it compare to Underground Vignettes?

Thanks

The audio and Buzzword raffle is great. I'm an audio learner plus it would really maximize my time during the commuting to/from school everyday. I'd love to enter the raffle.... the demo audio file sounds great also. thanks!!

I'm interested in hearing about the content and set-up of this audio? Is it question/answer based or more like a lecture?

The audio is the same content as the book. Question and answers--one narrator reads the question, then there is a pause, then another narrator reads the answer. This way you have the option of reviewing without having to carry the book!

Is the audio strictly a read-out of the information in the book or does it have extra information?

Caligirl--The audio material is the same content as in the print book.

DoctorDreamer--Buzzwords does not have online text, just the audio. Surgical Recall 5th edition is the first Recall title to include online text and it's set up like interactive online flashcards.

cpants--I don't have an exact count of how many questions-and-answers, but I estimate it at 3,000.

Buzzwords sounds like a really cool book. How many questions/answers are in the book? Sorry if you already answered that, but I didn't see it.

How is the Cases and Concepts series formatted? Is it a long case with some questions after it, or is it shorter board style cases with a question or two following? How does it compare to Underground Vignettes?

Thanks

Cases and Concepts is just that--a patient case followed by discussion, illustrations, and thought questions to help integrate basic science concepts with clinical material. Each of the two Cases and Concepts books includes numerous cases and access to fully searchable text online.

A few questions:

I've never heard of Underground Clinical Vignettes but would like to know more about them. As a MSI do you think this would still be helpful with another year's worth of information to learn?

I have older versions of BRS books which I like, but I noticed that some of them are smaller (shorter) for the same topic (like gross anat), can you explain the difference (if any).

How do the flashcards help with the BRS books, are they question based or do they content based?

Can you expalain the difference between the cases and content vs the UCV?

I am also unfamiliar with the Recall Series; would you say it's more oriented for a final review after studying for the USMLE or would also be beneficial for my medschool tests or shelf tests?

I know I asked a lot, but you all are only arround here 2x/year. :) I've been studying for neuro which has taken me away from SDN recently, but I really appreciate you all coming here to answer our questions.

Sad to say I'm still at the school studing...at 11 something on a Friday night, and my test isn't for a week....I need all the help I can get!!! ;)

thanks for participating

Status
Not open for further replies.