USMLE Step 1

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Just Applied

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I know everybody here is just trying to get through second year just like me, but winter break is coming upon us. I am a student at Georgetown Med and am going to be taking step 1 in june. I was wondering if anyone can give me advice on what to do this upcoming winter break. I want to buy the books needed, audio, whatever else there is out there for the step. I want to have a very good game plan once second year ends in may 12 and just follow the plan and just like everybody else...kick that tests ass.

-K

Members don't see this ad.

I think it depends very much on how your schedule is set up. Our 2nd year was compressed down into 6 months (very hardcore months) so I really didn't even crack open FA or any other review book until May. I did all of my studying during a 6 week vacation. If you don't have the luxury of taking time off, your best bet at this point is to go ahead and register for the exam online and get it confirmed by your registrar (usually easy but can take a while so why not start early) and then start drawing up a study plan for the amount of time you're alloting to the exam.

Best of luck

Thanks! Does anyone else have any input, I know this information can be of help to everyone planning to take this test in the coming year.

-K

if you have FA, start annotating it as you progress through your classes at school. I wouldn't bother with things like biochem this early, there are too many small details that are better revised closer to the exam date.

good luck,
Pol

Members don't see this ad :)
I agree with Pollicis! I am a second year, and two or three days before my test, I am going through FA for the relevant section and annotating anything that needs clarification; don't go crazy adding details b/c in classes they like to overload you with info that you wont see on the boards, but definitely throw in any clarification notes as well as anything that you feel is high yield and has been truly emphasized! I think that is the most impt thing to do at this stage.

I agree with Pollicis! I am a second year, and two or three days before my test, I am going through FA for the relevant section and annotating anything that needs clarification; don't go crazy adding details b/c in classes they like to overload you with info that you wont see on the boards, but definitely throw in any clarification notes as well as anything that you feel is high yield and has been truly emphasized! I think that is the most impt thing to do at this stage.
thats the method I go w/ too...it takes very little time and prepares the book for when you'll need it later......the only other time I use it is briefly during micro and pharm to see if FA has any good mnemonics

For winter break? I would find a nice winter getaway, go boarding or do some other more inferior winter sport, make up some egg nog, and enjoy the joy of winter break. Help out at a soup kitchen, visit santa at the mall (but do not wet your pants on his lap), or anything other than anything related to school.

In not too long you will enter a life where one day of vacation is like gold. Sure, shop a bit for some books but I would certianly not stress over it. There will be plenty of time for Step 1 in Jan. One thing you might do is visit a good bookstore and spend an hour just flipping through the different styles of books IT DOES NOT MATTER WHAT SUBJECT IT IS because similar publishers use similar styles (i.e. BRS books are all styled the same, RapRev are all the same, etc). Good luck and do try to enjoy yourself too many people put too much wattage in their lightbulbs all at once and they burnout too early.

I really wish I could follow along with FA while taking these classes, but I am barely able to get enough studying done for my classes on a normal basis. This is the main reson why I want to prepare a really good game plan this winter and just have a complete picture as to what I will be doing in May.

-K

Well, then I would buy your first aid. Most people say to get FA, BRS Path, BRS Phys. As an alternate, check out Goljan's Pathology (Rapid Review) and see if you prefer that or BRS; ther eare varying opinions (I haven't really checked either out yet). ANd then from there, if there is osmething you are super weak on, get the high yield book for it. That is what my boyfriend told me, and all he studied was FA, BRS Path, BRS Phys, and high yield biochem and got a 247. i'm not sure what your goal was, but he was an average student, and he did relatively well on his boards.

Thats a phenominal score. I am definately an avergae student with the occasional HP and very rare H. To set myself apart from the rest, I want to do amazing on the boards, as I am sure everyone else also wants. Thanks for the info!

-K