SDN members see fewer ads and full resolution images. Join our non-profit community!

USMLE Step 2 CS for DO applicants?

Discussion in 'Step II' started by whitecoat, Apr 9, 2007.

1. whitecoat

whitecoat Member 7+ Year Member

May 17, 2003
    Hi,
    I'm a third year student and currently in the process of applying for residency. Could you please let me know if I need USMLE step 2 CS in addition to Comlex PE in order to apply for allopathic match? Thank you for your reply!

2. SDN Members don't see this ad. About the ads.
  3. DOctorJay

DOctorJay 10+ Year Member

May 8, 2004
    from what I have heard you DO NOT need the CS, actually you don't NEED any of the USMLE exams but it may help at some programs.

4. FutureSoxDoc

FutureSoxDoc New Member 10+ Year Member

May 11, 2005
    To apply for the allopathic match, the answer is no. I matched allo IM without the USMLE CS.

5. JunkintheTrunk

JunkintheTrunk Blondes are smrt 7+ Year Member

Oct 29, 2003
    The Mitten
    i'm wondering the exact same thing. i'm planning on doing both the allo and osteopathic matches for general surgery...i'm just going to email all the programs to see if they need it. that would be such a load off if i don't need it...i already paid but haven't scheduled it...can i refund my $ still? :rolleyes: :oops:

6. NeuroDocDO

NeuroDocDO 7+ Year Member

Feb 22, 2007
    South Jersey
    you only need to take the USMLE 2CS if you plan on taking USMLE step 3, otherwise it is not really necessary. I ended up taking it as I am planning to sit for USMLE step 3 and in order to register for the exam you had to have passed USMLE steps 1, 2ck, and 2cs.

later.

7. whitecoat

whitecoat Member 7+ Year Member

May 17, 2003
    Thank you for all replies! I'm planning to take USMLE Step II and III to apply for Heme/Onc fellowship. It looks as though I will also need to take Step II CS in order to be eligible for taking Step III. I feel like it is a waste of $1000 for another test that is very similar to Comlex PE. It is an unnecessary requirement :(
    Lastly, Congrats to NeuroDoc for getting into such a great program :)

8. ketafol

ketafol ASA Member 2+ Year Member

Oct 3, 2006
    Hi there. What makes you think that you need the enitre series of USMLE to apply for a Heme/Onc fellowship? First of all. Heme/Onc is not competitive at all, and you wherever you go for fellowship will certainly not look at your board scores with any weight if at all. You are better served doing an IM residency where you would like to do fellowship, or at least where you can get a lot of exposure in Heme/ONc in case you change your mind.

9. NeuroDocDO

NeuroDocDO 7+ Year Member

Feb 22, 2007
    South Jersey
    correction, hem/onc is actually the 3rd most competitive fellowship after GI. Step3 will only boost your application for fellowship among other MD's who have step 3 on their CV.