USMLE/COMLEX USMLE Step 2 Resources

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

LWW Publishers

Test Prep Exhibitor
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
This thread is for questions and discussion related to resources for USMLE Step 2. In this thread,LWW will be raffling off one copy of Step-Up to USMLE Step 2, 2e. Winners for each raffle will be drawn from among the members who post questions about the product(s) or otherwise meaningfully contribute to the discussion.

Blueprints Q&A for Step 2
Includes 1,000 board-formatted questions—all questions have been reviewed by students who recently passed the boards and include explanations for both the correct and incorrect answer.

Step-Up to USMLE Step 2, 2E
Systems-based, outline-format review of commonly tested USMLE Step 2 material. The user-friendly format, with numerous tables, illustrations, and flow charts, allows quick review of a vast body of facts. "Quick Hit" marginalia highlight facts likely to be tested. "Next Step" marginalia indicate what the clinician must do next after making a diagnosis.

Boards & Wards: A Review for USMLE Steps 2 & 3, 3E
This essential review book, written in a succinct, high-yield outline format, features board-formatted questions and answers with detailed explanations, and covers each discipline of medicine appearing on the USMLE Steps 2 and 3.

NMS Review for USMLE Step 2 CK, 3E
Popular and widely used review book offers excellent preparation for the CK (clinical knowledge) component of the USMLE Step 2. This edition contains twenty simulated USMLE tests, totaling 1,000 clinical vignette-based questions followed by answers and explanations.

USMLE Step 2 Recall
Presents patient cases followed by rapid-fire USMLE-style questions based on each case. Coverage encompasses all clinical areas tested on the USMLE Step 2. The cases and questions will teach students pattern recognition for diseases tested in both the CK's multiple-choice questions and the CS's live patient presentations.

NMS Review for the USMLE Clinical Skills Exam, 2E
Offers a complete review for the USMLE Step 2 Clinical Skills (CS) exam. It covers all diseases encountered on the exam and prepares students to interact with patients, take a good medical history, perform a focused physical examination, develop a workup plan, and write an organized patient note. Numerous sample cases and patient notes are included.

Blueprints USMLE Step 2 CS
Provides the information you need to pass the test the first time. It contains practical information and sample patient cases in which you can practice writing a patient note in the format required for the exam. Know what to expect before you take this important exam.

Series/Individual Subject Review

Blueprints
Concise, accurate, clinical high-yield content covers all you need to know for the USMLE. Includes USMLE-style questions with full explanations provided in the answers and key points in every section highlight the most important, high-yield information for each topic.

Blueprints Clinical Cases
Symptom based clinical cases provide comprehensive USMLE review. Each case includes built-in thought questions to help you learn to diagnose using the critical thinking process. Q&A section features 100 original USMLE-format questions and detailed answer explanations.

In A Page
Pocket-sized and practical, In A Page covers etiology, epidemiology, risk factors; patient presentation; differential diagnosis; treatment and management; and prognosis and complications using an innovative visual format.

NMS
NMS (National Medical Series for Independent Study) provides concise review for clerkship and shelf exam preparation. Uses a rigidly structured outline format and features key terms in bold font, end-of-chapter USMLE-style questions, a comprehensive exam, and a companion website.

Recall
Facilitates rapid review and memorization of key concepts using a concise, two-column question-and-answer format. Effective for quick study for board review and hospital rounds. Bookmark included with each book to aid in self-testing.

Step-Up
Presents a high-yield, outline format review of commonly tested material for USMLE and clerkship. Its user-friendly format with numerous tables, illustrations, and “quick hits” to supplement the text, allows for a quick review of a vast body of facts and complements many learning styles.

Underground Clinical Vignettes
Presents patient cases designed specifically to prepare students for clinical vignettes on the USMLE Step 2. Each case proceeds from chief complaint through diagnostic workup and treatment and includes buzzwords in history taking, physical examination, laboratory tests, imaging, and pathology.

Members don't see this ad.

I keep boards and wards with me at all times and would love to give step up a try.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi I had a question about this book. I currently own Step up to Medicine and used Step up to Step 1 for the first USMLE. How does this book compare to USMLE Step 2 Recall and Boards and Wards for preparation for Step 2 with regards to formatting and coverage of Pediatrics and Ob-Gyn?

I used Step Up for Step 1 and I have Step Up to Medicine for my third year wards. Has anyone used Step Up to Step 2 and how did they like it?

I would be interested in knowing how Step up to Step 2 compares with other similar books. I own Step Up to Medicine and it really lives up to its reputation.... I would be interested in hearing other users thoughts on how good Step Up to Step 2 is.

I have 2 questions regarding Step Up for Step 2

1. Does the book come with online access, like Step Up to Medicine?
2. Does the book include any tear-away flash-card/pocket reference cards that contain high-yield information and can easily be kept in a coat pocket?

I take boards and wards with me everytime I travel. It's small yet packed with great information for airplane studying. step up to medicine helped me ace my medicine clerkship and honor the shelf exam.

I know step up to medicine is great. I've used it throughout this year even though I haven't had medicine yet. If step up to step 2 is similar, I'd love to have a copy.

Hi I had a question about this book. I currently own Step up to Medicine and used Step up to Step 1 for the first USMLE. How does this book compare to USMLE Step 2 Recall and Boards and Wards for preparation for Step 2 with regards to formatting and coverage of Pediatrics and Ob-Gyn?

Step-Up to Step 2 includes a chapter each on Gyn/Breast, Obstetrics, and Pediatrics. USMLE Step 2 Recall and Boards and Wards each have a combined Ob/Gyn chapter and a Peds chapter.

Some of the features that distinguish Step-Up are
  • Numerous tables and illustrations that summarize information visually
  • "Quick Hits"--key points to remember about particular diseases or drugs
  • "Next Steps"--once the condition is diagnosed, what is the first step of treatment--this forms the basis for many Step 2 questions.
  • Mnemonics
  • Insert of color plates (also found in Boards and Wards)
Hope this answers the question.

LWW

I have 2 questions regarding Step Up for Step 2

1. Does the book come with online access, like Step Up to Medicine?
2. Does the book include any tear-away flash-card/pocket reference cards that contain high-yield information and can easily be kept in a coat pocket?

Step-Up to Step 2 comes with online access. It does not offer any tear-away flashcards. If we were to do that in the future, what info would you like them to have?

Step-Up to Step 2 comes with online access. It does not offer any tear-away flashcards. If we were to do that in the future, what info would you like them to have?

If it was me i would prefer "quick hits" on flashcards because it might be instrumental in remembering the central idea behind a lot of clinical scenarios. Oh well i am sure others might add to this...

Thanks for getting back to me so quickly.

I agree with the poster below who says that having the Quick Hits in tear-away format would be great. I often find myself making portable cards with the ultra high-yield information in my review books (which is what I imagine the Quick Hits information is)

What exactly is included with the on-line access? I'm assuming an e-version of he book and associated charts/graphs but are there additional interactive features such as extra questions found only on-line?

Hi, would Step-up to Step 2 be useful for shelf as well? Thanks!

What exactly is included with the on-line access? I'm assuming an e-version of he book and associated charts/graphs but are there additional interactive features such as extra questions found only on-line?

The companion website includes all the text and images from the book. There are many other resources available for questions, so we've kept this title as a concise, comprehensive review without questions.

Try these sources for Step 2 questions:

NMS Review for USMLE Step 2 CK http://www.lww.com/product/?978-0-7817-6522-0

Blueprints Q&A for Step 2 http://www.lww.com/product/?978-0-7817-7820-6.

Thanks!
LWW

I heard such good reviews on step up to medicine from my seniors i had to get it and i have to say they were not exagerating. I havent heard much about step up to step 2 but if it's anything like this book it'll be worth my time

Status
Not open for further replies.