USMLE Step 2

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

path19

20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am getting ready to study for USMLE step 2 and I had a quick question for everyone. What percentage of the exam is internal medicine, peds, ob/gyn, etc. I was hoping to find this out so I can give a proportionate amount of time to studying each topic. Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

When everybody says there is lot of OB...does that mean straight up obstetrics or does it imply Gynecology also?

Thanks

Originally posted by path19
So you didn't have surgery questions???

What about neurology, psychiatry, etc?

Whoops, sorry for the confusion. I meant to include surgery, neurology, and psych as part of "adult medicine". I had very little surgical questions on my test to the truth. There may have been a few that just presented the option of going to surgery vs managing medically, and some dealt with the management of surgical conditions; but there weren't too many and most could be answered from an "internist's" perspective. I had a few psych questions, but I think that I had a larger proportion of psych questions on q bank then I did on my actual exam. I barely had any neuro questions too. The only neuro question that I can even recall just asked me to interpret an MRI, and I just took the test 4 weeks ago (I think that I had 2-3 questions out of the ~300 some questions that required some radiological interpretation). Regarding OB, there was a good mix of OB and gyn questions. I thought that doing practice questions on q bank and reading first aid and prescription for the boards was sufficient for my ob/gyn questions. Prior to studying for step II, ob/gyn was probably one of my weakest subjects because I hardly learned anything during my rotation, but I ended up scoring the higest on that section according to my score breakdown.