USMLE/COMLEX USMLE Step 3 Resources

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

LWW Publishers

Test Prep Exhibitor
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
This thread is for questions and discussion related to resources for USMLE Step 3. In this thread, LWW will be raffling off one copy of Step-Up to USMLE Step 3. Winners for each raffle will be drawn from among the members who post questions about the product(s) or otherwise meaningfully contribute to the discussion.

Step-Up to USMLE Step 3
Uses a case-based format to parallel the thought processes interns employ. Each case presentation includes a work-up, diagnosis, and treatment, a discussion of the multiple medical problems possible and the reason why they are or are not a component of the final diagnosis. The content focuses on subjects most commonly tested on the USMLE Step 3. Quick Hits, buzzwords, mnemonics, acronyms, and lists are used throughout the text.

Boards & Wards: A Review for USMLE Steps 2 & 3, 3E
This essential review book, written in a succinct, high-yield outline format, features board-formatted questions and answers with detailed explanations, and covers each discipline of medicine appearing on the USMLE Steps 2 and 3.

NMS Review for USMLE Step 3, 2E
Popular and widely used review book offers excellent preparation for the USMLE Step 3. Contains 6 simulated tests, totaling 900 questions, followed by answers and explanations. Questions are organized into clinical encounter frames and written in a case-based, interactive format.

USMLE Step 3 Recall Print and Audio Package
Rapid-fire review questions and answers based on interviews with high-scoring residents, pulled together by a team of MD contributors and editors. Includes complete MP3 audio files for reviewing on the go.

Blueprints Q&A for Step 3
Includes 1,000 board-formatted questions—all questions have been reviewed by students who recently passed the boards and include explanations for both the correct and incorrect answer. A companion website offers questions in an interactive format.

Blueprints Computer-Based Case Simulation Review: USMLE Step 3
The first and only book to break down the computer-based case simulations administered on day two of the Step 3 exam. Many review books help you study for the multiple-choice question portion of the USMLE Step 3, but none of them prepare you for the computer-based cases.

Members don't see this ad.

what is the difference between stepup, NMS and blueprints? all the 3 are review books... any difference in the style other than the author?? i ve step up for medicine and that one is extremely useful.. not tried NMS or blueprints yet.. hope the step up for step 3 is as good as stepup for medicine

I am not taking the Step 3 for another few years...but I would like to win a material for my sister, who will be needing this material soon.

I believe the contents listed and the mneumonics would be a great way for my sister to learn. I know we use to always make mneumonics up when we studied, and it always helped. The case-based format and interactive formats also sound like it will be a great studying resource closely simulating the Step 3 exam.

I have a question about the Blueprints Computer-Based case Simulation Review...is this a hard copy book? Or is it a program used at the computer? I'm a little confused about it. Maybe I misread the descriptions. :laugh:

Members don't see this ad :)
I won't be taking Step 3 for another couple of years, but I would like to review during fourth year. How is Step up to Step 3 for preparation purposes?

what is the difference between stepup, NMS and blueprints? all the 3 are review books... any difference in the style other than the author?? i ve step up for medicine and that one is extremely useful.. not tried NMS or blueprints yet.. hope the step up for step 3 is as good as stepup for medicine

Step-Up to USMLE Step 3 employs a case-based approach where each case consists of an appropriate work-up, diagnosis, and treatment. Discussions of each case include text, tables, and figures to create a presentation that effectively reviews vital test information while avoiding extraneous facts. As with the preceding books in the Step-Up series, "Quick Hits" stress facts that are important to remember. The NMS and Blueprints titles are strictly Q&A based books. Each book has ~1,000 Q&A and includes full explanations for the answer choices.

Thanks!
LWW

I am not taking the Step 3 for another few years...but I would like to win a material for my sister, who will be needing this material soon.

I believe the contents listed and the mneumonics would be a great way for my sister to learn. I know we use to always make mneumonics up when we studied, and it always helped. The case-based format and interactive formats also sound like it will be a great studying resource closely simulating the Step 3 exam.

I have a question about the Blueprints Computer-Based case Simulation Review...is this a hard copy book? Or is it a program used at the computer? I'm a little confused about it. Maybe I misread the descriptions. :laugh:

It's actually a print book--it provides an overview of how the CCS portion of the test is organized, focused strategy tips/advice, and sample cases.

Thanks!
LWW

I won't be taking Step 3 for another couple of years, but I would like to review during fourth year. How is Step up to Step 3 for preparation purposes?

Thanks for your question...the author designed this volume to fit the limited studying schedule of interns. It employs a case-based approach to parallel the manner in which interns learn. Because of the approach, it would definitely be a good, comprehensive review to use during 4th year in preparation for Step 3. Student reviewers said the following about it...

“This is great---quick reference, but detailed enough that you wouldn't need an additional study tool. That is perfect for busy interns---all in one book that can act as a quick question case study or a more intense review.”

“My overall impression is that this book will be an excellent Step 3 review book with a novel style via the case presentations. Step 3 is a clinically based exam and the format of this review book forces the reader to engage the material and actively think…The cases stimulate thought as to differential diagnoses, diagnostics, and treatment plans as you read through them and this greatly reinforces the information and helps with retention and learning.”

Thanks!
LWW

these books are excellent and highly recommended by every medical student i know. step up to medicine is a must-have for your medicine clerkship

sounds like step up would be great for step 3 - I'll look for it!

I have Step-up for Step 2. I like it...a lot of tables that help compare similar conditions to make it easier to memorize. I am looking forward to using it for Step 3.

Status
Not open for further replies.