USMLE Step 3

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

canadianoutlaw

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Any opinion or advice on when to take Step 3?

Is it complete madness to take it before intern year? I'd like to put the Steps behind me as soon as possible and move on with my life but def do not want to fail. I feel like the further I get from Step 1 and Step 2CK, the less I know for this sort of thing...

Members don't see this ad.

Take it as early as possible. I put it off and now am regretting it.

Survivor DO

Any opinion or advice on when to take Step 3?

Is it complete madness to take it before intern year? I'd like to put the Steps behind me as soon as possible and move on with my life but def do not want to fail. I feel like the further I get from Step 1 and Step 2CK, the less I know for this sort of thing...

You have to check because all states have different requirements in order to take Step 3, and I'm pretty sure most require you to have graduated in order to take it.

Members don't see this ad :)
I registered for it in Connecticut and took it in Saint Louis (logical, right?) in August of my intern year. The way I see it, your knowledge of GYN, peds, psychology, neurology, etc. diminishes by the day, so you might as well get it over with.

Different states have different pre-reqs to register for Step 3 - on the Step 3 website I remember there being a nice table to check out. Take it early on in intern year. The questions are actually pretty darn tough, but you need to pass and you are guaranteed to forget more and more the further you get away from the material.

I took it early in my intern year after emergency. Figured that gave me a good review. As was stated I don't think you take it before graduation though. Plus my program gave me a couple days off to take it.