pilottodoctor

10+ Year Member
Mar 25, 2009
Status
Medical Student
hello everyone, just thought let eveyone know about my experience. i got my result for step1 last week and i passed i got 99% with 3 digit scoe of 270, and materials that i used were kaplan anatomy video and first aid 2009 and goljan path, and medschool notes for micro and other subjects. along with study material i also used uw qbank, and there self assesment forms. i used form1 from nbme which i dont recomend so depressing ahahahah, and i was told that those questions 5-10 year old retired questions which dont make sense at all. Step1 exam itself was not to bad for me i felt that i was not well prepeared till the day of exam. I had 2 months to study since i am from carribean med school, and i studied for 5-6 hours a day everyday and do qbank (uw) every night for topic that i use to cover, das about it, and now i will be going for my first clinical rotations in september :thumbup:. good luck to everyone

rahulb

nutritional facelift
10+ Year Member
Mar 17, 2007
Status
Medical Student
post your score report

McGillGrad

Building Mind and Body
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Dec 21, 2002
Visit site
Status
Resident [Any Field]
Congrats on the score. The only issue that you should be worried about is your step 2 score. If you do not manage to score a 99 on step 2, then you will lose out on many residency spots because it conflicts with your step 1.

In other words, you will be seen as the streotypical IMG who can memorize facts but cannot apply knowledge. And since medicine = applied knowledge, you are out of luck.

OP
P

pilottodoctor

10+ Year Member
Mar 25, 2009
Status
Medical Student
Congrats on the score. The only issue that you should be worried about is your step 2 score. If you do not manage to score a 99 on step 2, then you will lose out on many residency spots because it conflicts with your step 1.

In other words, you will be seen as the streotypical IMG who can memorize facts but cannot apply knowledge. And since medicine = applied knowledge, you are out of luck.
if in US students just memorise and take test, then its bit foolish, since medicine is not about cramming, its about mechanisms and mechanisms. i am pretty sure if i can get 270 in step1, i can get pretty good score in step2 will find out in december

McGillGrad

Building Mind and Body
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Dec 21, 2002
Visit site
Status
Resident [Any Field]
if in US students just memorise and take test, then its bit foolish, since medicine is not about cramming, its about mechanisms and mechanisms. i am pretty sure if i can get 270 in step1, i can get pretty good score in step2 will find out in december

Good luck!

OP
P

pilottodoctor

10+ Year Member
Mar 25, 2009
Status
Medical Student

hey man didnt want to start a war or anything...i was just saying my part of story, you probably know or you might not, know anything about imgs, i know statistics show most imgs who do good in step1, dont do good in step2, reason being is communication lol, not that imgs dont know how to apply knowledge :laugh:.

good luck

Elfy

10+ Year Member
Apr 28, 2007
Status
Pilotdoctor, there is a dedicated well-organized thread for Step 1 experiences, you don't need to start a new thread (no more than you need to post your score report):

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=589961&page=23

Congratulations for your very high three-digit score. Please do not equate the two-digit score with a percentile in the future, it may make you come across as amateurish even though you are not. 99 does not mean 99% of questions answered correctly, nor that 99% of people scored below you - 99 is the two-digit number that everyone above a certain three-digit cut-off is assigned (e.g. 270 is 99 but 240 is also 99).

Last edited:

Whats_up_doc

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Jun 27, 2006
Puerto Rico
Status
Pilotdoctor, there is a dedicated well-organized thread for Step 1 experiences, you don't need to start a new thread (no more than you need to post your score report):

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=589961&page=23

Congratulations for your very high three-digit score. Please do not equate the two-digit score with a percentile in the future, it may make you come across as amateurish even though you are not. 99 does not mean 99% of questions answered correctly, nor that 99% of people scored below you - 99 is the two-digit number that everyone above a certain three-digit cut-off is assigned (e.g. 270 is 99 but 240 is also 99).
Don't hate. Congratulate.

Aug 4, 2009
Status
Medical Student
A three digit 270 equates to a two-digit 99 AND the 99%tile. Congratulations on an exceptional score.

Elfy

10+ Year Member
Apr 28, 2007
Status
Don't hate. Congratulate.
I'm confused. I congratulated him/her already. The consensus is that you post your experience + score+ study plan in the official thread if you do want to help others, so it will be easier to find. 99 in the USMLE is not necessarily equivalent to 99%, although I agree in this case it may, it's just a matter of habit that others with lesser scores may pick up. And I don't think it's necessary for this person to post their score report like someone else suggested above, I for one believe them :luck:

Last edited:
OP
P

pilottodoctor

10+ Year Member
Mar 25, 2009
Status
Medical Student
hey guys i didnt mean to start any misunderstanding in this thread.Matter of fact gettting good score wouldnt have been possible for me without you all guys help. I posted this thread coz i was too excited lol, and didnt want to go and search for particular thread. I mean c'mon wouldnt you be too excited :love:, well if me starting this thread is making fellow members bit upset, then i dont mind moderator can delete this thread, and i also did mention what i studied for step1, and how long i studied.

thanks

McGillGrad

Building Mind and Body
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Dec 21, 2002
Visit site
Status
Resident [Any Field]
It's cute how you keep digging yourself deeper. You do realize that it is only sarcasm if everyone knew your real score. That other guy had to look up your score on another thread. If he didn't call you out on your lie, no one would know your real score on this thread.

You are a sad little man...lol:laugh:

I didn't lie. Its called sarcasm. Clearly something you don't understand either....I'm not surprised.

1) look up the definiton of sarcasm
2) re-read the thread
3) Never mind you still won't get it........

docbill

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Aug 20, 2004
Status
Medical Student
You guys should really get a room and chat..

Whats_up_doc

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Jun 27, 2006
Puerto Rico
Status
You guys should really get a room and chat..
SDN has been known for classic sarcasm the whole time. Unfortunately, there are a few with personality issues that need to vent it out in these forums. I really don't know what is wrong, really... If I ever come across with a colleague on medical school with that attitude, he won't have any piece of respect on my behalf. Let's try to help each other out and try not to be D-bags. In the end, we all want to be doctors. If you have issues, take it somewhere else. This threads are made with the purpose of enriching the process of understanding medicine. And this is a general message, not intended for anyone. :thumbup: